Causal Reasoning question - Someone please help

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
Q} Unlike newspapers in the old days, today's newspapers and televised news programs are full of stories about murders and assaults in our city. One can only conclude from this change that violent crime is now out of control, and, to be safe from personal attack, one should not leave one's home except for absolute necessities.

Which one of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the conclusion?

A] Newspapers and television news programs have more comprehensive coverage of violent crime than newspapers did in the old days.

B] National data show that violent crime is out of control everywhere, not just in the author's city.

C] Police records show that people experience more violent crimes in their own neighborhoods than they do outside their neighborhoods.

D] Murder comprised a larger proportion of violent crimes in the old days than it does today.

E] News magazines play a more important role today in informing the public about crime than they did in the old days.

Can somebody plss tell what should be the cause and the effect and hence the answer.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Fri May 27, 2011 2:39 am
[email protected] wrote:Q} Unlike newspapers in the old days, today's newspapers and televised news programs are full of stories about murders and assaults in our city. One can only conclude from this change that violent crime is now out of control, and, to be safe from personal attack, one should not leave one's home except for absolute necessities.

Which one of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the conclusion?

A] Newspapers and television news programs have more comprehensive coverage of violent crime than newspapers did in the old days.

B] National data show that violent crime is out of control everywhere, not just in the author's city.

C] Police records show that people experience more violent crimes in their own neighborhoods than they do outside their neighborhoods.

D] Murder comprised a larger proportion of violent crimes in the old days than it does today.

E] News magazines play a more important role today in informing the public about crime than they did in the old days.

Can somebody plss tell what should be the cause and the effect and hence the answer.
Just my thoughts. The conclusion says that crime rates are going out of control. Take the answer A now. It says that the newspapers of today are showing more comprehensive coverage of the crime, which were not done in the olden days. Crime rate may have still been the same in those times also but they were not covered in the newspapers. But today its done which gives you a feeling that the rate is high. Explanations welcome
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Followed by:2 members

by itsmebharat » Fri May 27, 2011 2:49 am
Altough I dont think A should be the correct answer, but it is the only best option available among others.
I am not an Expert, please feel free to suggest if there is an error.

by sivaelectric » Fri May 27, 2011 3:06 am
@itsmebharat. May I know why you dont think A is the answer. Your explanation please
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat May 28, 2011 5:21 am
According to me More news stories cause more violent crimes but according to the solution that I have it says that it is the reverse i.e More violent crimes cause the more news stories in the media. Please any of the expert help in this particular question.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat May 28, 2011 6:26 am
[email protected] wrote:Q} Unlike newspapers in the old days, today's newspapers and televised news programs are full of stories about murders and assaults in our city. One can only conclude from this change that violent crime is now out of control, and, to be safe from personal attack, one should not leave one's home except for absolute necessities.

The author is assuming that the increase in news stories about violent crimes is caused by an increase in violent crimes.

If we can show that something else has caused the increase in news stories about violent crimes, then we can weaken the argument.

Answer choice A says that the increase in news stories about violent crimes is caused by a change in the way the media now covers these events, so it is the best answer.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun May 29, 2011 12:05 am
well brent i still did not get your answer as to how can the author assume that the violent crimes are causing the increase of media coverage wherein the cause and effect is clearly mentioned in the argument.

by sivaelectric » Sun May 29, 2011 12:08 am
Thanks Brent for explaining it better. :)

Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun May 29, 2011 10:43 pm
well i did not understand the question. Can somebody please explain me the causal relation in this question.

by rishijhawar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:15 am
here is my take: violent crimes out of control (cause) results full stories (effect). To weaken, as already brilliantly explained in the thread, we need to specify some other cause of full stories. Choice A exactly does that by explaining news and TVs today are more comprehensive (i.e. they provide full coverage)than they were earlier.
Hope this helps. lemme know if you still have trouble.

Followed by:3 members

by amit2k9 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:16 am
clean A here,giving the exact reasoning.
For Understanding Sustainability,Green Businesses and Social Entrepreneurship visit -https://aamthoughts.blocked/
(Featured Best Green Site Worldwide-https://bloggers.com/green/popular/page2)