expert please reply… also explain why you cancel out B and

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
One study found that although government policy and the industrial sector in which a company operates can influence its productivity and financial strength, management decisions have at least as great an impact on a company's performance.

A- management decisions have at least as great an impact

B- decisions by management have a great impact

C- manager decisions impact greatly

D- decisions by a company's management impact greatly

E- what a company's management decides has a greater impact

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:09 am
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by priya2gupta5 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 am
I am still not clear why B is incorrect. How is decisions by management different from management decisions?

BTW origin of the word "thank"
- from Old English thancian;
- akin to Old English thanc gratitude

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:57 am
priya2gupta5 wrote:I am still not clear why B is incorrect. How is decisions by management different from management decisions?

Priya, the meaning is different. A says that management decisions have at least as great an impact (as government policy and the industrial sector in which a company operates).

However, B does not do any comparison (with the impact/influence of government policy and the industrial sector in which a company operates).

Everything else remaning the same, we should preserve the original meaning of the sentence.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 am
Well put, EA!

And to add to that, the meaning in B isn't a logical meaning for the rest of the sentence. Note that the main thought begins with the word "Although":

Although government policy can influence productivity...

With that word "although" in the first clause, the second needs to have a meaning that runs counter to the first. You wouldn't say "Although it was raining, I carried an umbrella", because rain and umbrella go hand in hand - there isn't anything in the second half that runs counter to the thought in the first, so "although" just sits there as a signal of a surprise ending that never comes. You might, though, say "Although it was raining, I stayed dry with the help of my umbrella". That second half has a counter in it - rain should make you wet, but the "catch" in the second half is that that didn't happen.

So in this case, if we use "Although government policy influences productivity", we need a counterpart in the second half. And some government influence does not prohibit the ability of management decisions to have a great impact. You'd still expect that. But for management decisions to have at least as great an impact - that runs counter. The first half highlights how important government policy is; by the time we're done reading the first half it seems like the government is a primary factor in the industrial sector's performance. But "although" has set us up for a somewhat-surprising ending, and A delivers that by saying "yeah, but actually management decisions are at least as important as what we already told you was a big deal".

To summarize - "although" in the first clause of a sentence signifies that you need a somewhat "surprising" meaning in the second half...or at least something that runs a bit counter to what you saw in the first.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.