Profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by rura » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:49 am
Can you please evaluate my profile and comment on my chances at the schools listed below?

can you give me some advice to get in? How schools look at my candidacy?

My age is a weaknes? and what about my experience, it is really different from a normal mba applicant what are the convincing factors that can highlight my profile in the schools listed below. Thanks.

Male 33
good degree in economics and business from a well known european university

master in development economics

exchange programme in uk

6 years work experience in national development agency small and medium enterprise creation and fdi attraction

GMAT 620
IELTS 7.5

I am really interested in applying in European school for a 12 months MBA.

I selected

IMD
INSEAD
CRANFIELD
ROTTERDAM

thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 pm
Dear rura,

Schools evaluate your application holistically, so each component is considered with no one component being more important than another. Thus you want to present the strongest overall package possible, mitigating any potential weaknesses. Your GMAT is on the lower side for your target programs, but might not be out of range for all. You need to research these programs to see where the GMAT ranges are for the current class and determine if you are within the mid-80% range. If not, then you should consider retaking the GMAT--or you might consider retaking anyway if you have concerns about other aspects of your application at this point like your essays, recommendations, resume, transcript and/or interview. INSEAD specifies its preferences for applicants to score at/above the 80th percentile on both sections of the GMAT, so if INSEAD is your top choice, then a GMAT retake is critical. You cannot change your GPA for your degrees at this point, so make sure you are using the other application components (essays, resume, recommendations and interview) to your advantage to make your case for admission.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rura » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:02 am
Thank you Stacy for your advice so far.
I would like to know what you think of the impact of my carrear in development economics on the application, does it give me a shot for top tier school?

I think It is twofold, it makes me look different from the other applicants, but on the other hand I am not the kind of subject that MBA schools look for.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:30 pm
Your current industry or functional area, in and of itself, is not enough to set you apart from other applicants. It is what you have done with your career--how have you added value? have you progressed quickly? have you made tangible contributions to your organization?--that will help you to stand out from applicants with similar backgrounds.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me