Solid graduate work, low undergrad

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Solid graduate work, low undergrad

by tjdeluca » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:21 pm
How important is a graduate GPA in gaining admission to a top MBA program, and how much would it make up for a poor undergraduate showing? Here is my profile:

Undergrad: 3.2, Mathematics, Cornell University
Graduate: 3.8, Mathematics and Meteorology, Naval Postgraduate School
-Won an Outstanding Thesis award
GMAT: 710 (47Q,40V) 6.0AWA
Work Experience 6'yrs US Air Force Meteorologist, Arizona, Turkey, Korea (2x commander)

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:02 pm
Dear tjdeluca,

While I have not seen your entire transcript from Cornell, a cumulative 3.2 is not low. It is actually average for most MBA programs. With your high GPA from your master's and strong GMAT score, your academic profile for business school is an advantage for you. In other words, I don't think you should be worried about your GPA or GMAT score. On a related note, many programs (and future employers) like the military background, so that is another strength for you.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tjdeluca » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 am
Lisa,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a followup question. On the way to my Master's, I earned a second Bachelor's, with a 3.75 GPA. Will that be looked at equally to my first Bachelor's by the admissions committee? The 3.2 overall on the first degree wasn't bad, but the transcript is kind of a roller coaster. I did take many high level math classes though.

I'm looking at Tuck, Kellogg, and Johnson right now. Should I be setting my sights a little lower?

Tom

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:28 pm
Dear Tom,

All degrees and transcripts will be evaluated. Since you earned 2 bachelor's degrees, I think you could calculate a cumulative GPA for both degrees to report. It is really up to you on how you will report it, but the better performance in the second bachelor's degree will mitigate some concerns. I don't think you should set your sights lower necessarily, but be prudent in having a mix of schools on your list--not just top programs like Tuck, Kellogg and Johnson.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me