My chances at Booth, Wharton and Insead

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear Stacy,

The following is an overview of my MBA application. I would be grateful if you could assess my chances of getting to to top programs like Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago booth, Columbia, Insead and LBS.

28.5 year Indian Male
GMAT: 720 (49, 39), AWA 5
Born and brought in India. Studied in Dubai for 2 years. Worked in India and Abu Dhabi for 9 months and 3.5 years respectively.

Education
Undergraduate GPA 3.8 (BBA from an unknown college in India)
PGDM (Post graduate diploma in management) 3.5/5 (Well know program ranked among top 10-15 in India)
CFA - Charted Financial Analyst (US)
FRM - Financial Risk Manager (US)
CAIA - Certified Alternative Investment Analyst - Level 1 cleared. One more level to go (US)

Work Experience
9 months as a Senior Research Analyst in a subsidiary of S&P group in India
2 years 3 months as a Financial Analyst in a boutique private equity firm in Abu Dhabi
1 year 3 months as a Portfolio analyst in a well know family office in Abu Dhabi

Extra curricular
Volunteering as a Treasurer at the CFA Emirates Institute in UAE
Member of Red Crescent
Played cricket at school and college level

Reason for MBA: Reach the next level, faster career progress, Networking, Change of location.

Best regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:37 pm
Dear resilient 123,

Based on the information in your post, I think you have a competitive profile for any program. Since you are targeting the most selective programs, it is not enough to have a competitive profile; you will need to submit a stellar application package that makes a compelling case for your admission over thousands of other applicants. Thus your essays, resume, recommendations and interviews are integral to your ultimate decisions and should be given considerable focus in the coming months. I also encourage you to identify 2-3 programs that are not as selective, some safety options, to apply to if your priority is to be in business school by September 2012.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by resilient 123 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:09 am
Thank you for your reply. What do you think are the weaknesses in my profile. I am interested in a career in finance (asset management). Can you suggest some good finance programs that are not so selective. Does NYU stern qualify as one of those.

Best regards.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:43 am
All MBA programs will have solid finance curricula, so you need to determine which have the electives you seek in asset management and/or have strong ties to the firms you are interested in pursuing for employment. NYU Stern is still a highly selective school. For the quickest way to determine how selective a school is, you can view its selectivity percentage on many of the rankings. The lower the number, the more selective the school.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by resilient 123 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:24 am
Thanks so much for your response!