GMAT prep ---- 700-Q50,V34 pointers needed

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT prep ---- 700-Q50,V34 pointers needed

by crh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 am
Hello,
I appeared my second GMAT Prep and my score is as below.

700 - Q50, V34

I had posted my first GMAT prep results through
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-71 ... tml#381565

Though my maths is ok and i hope to do well, I am scared of my verbal because the score is fluctuating. I had appeared CAT 1 of MGMAT last weekend and scored 38 in verbal. How similar is MGMAT verbal to actual GMAT verbal?

Also I welcome suggestions on keeping quant scores intact. I am not practicing quants at all. My test date is 6th Aug and i do not get more than 2 hours to study per day.

My target score is 740 and any score lower than target score in Prep tests isn't doing any good to my morale.

GMAT Score:680

by beatitin11 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 am
Hi crh,
Personally I find that MGMAT verbal can be slightly generous than GMATPrep. However, some of my friends have said otherwise. I had V39 in my MGMAT4 and then I gave GMATPrep1 and scored V37.

How many many mistakes in each Question type did you get in Prep2?

by crh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 am
Hello,
Below is the break up of wrong answers in GMAT Prep verbal

SC - 5
RC - 5
CR - 3

Also I completed the test with 10 mins remaining and last 3 questions were incorrect. 3 times back to back questions were incorrect etc.
I am trying hard to score above 700. I am just too worried with this fluctuating verbal score.

Just concentrating on the below before my D day - 6th Aug

Verbal:
1. OG 10 and 12 all questions through analysis.
2. 6 CATs of MGMAT through analysis.

Quants:
1. OG 10 and 12 all questions through analysis.
2. 6 CATs of MGMAT through analysis.
3. DS questions which our fellow beatthegmat users post on DS forum.

With limited time left before the D-day I hope this plan works out. Also per day I manage only 2 hours of study.......... :(
Am aiming at V39-41 and Q49-50 in the actual test.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 am
You have 3 more weeks to go - and considering where you already are - there is plenty of time to improve to get to your dream score.

I don't think your Verbal scores are "fluctuating" - a 34 and 38 RAW Score can hardly be called as that. This is normal so don't read too much into it.

If I were you then instead of spending so much time trying to predict where I stand, I would invest that time dotting my is and crossing my ts. Go over your tests/practice with a fine-toothed comb and see how you can improve to get to that 40 raw score mark.

All the best and keep us posted!

Arun
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

by crh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 pm
Thanks Arun for your reply.
I do want to maximize on whatever time is available with me. The hurry is since I am targeting at applying to IIM Calcutta and ISB R1.

One question relating GMAT Preps ----

I used a CD that my friend had got when he appeared GMAT in Sep last (or perhaps Oct first week) 2008.

I too got a CD 2 weeks back from GMAC after I registered for the test.

Will the questions in both the CDs be different.
The GMAT prep scores I shared are from the old CD.

I am YET to install the new CD.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:38 am
crh wrote:Hello,
I appeared my second GMAT Prep and my score is as below.

700 - Q50, V34

I had posted my first GMAT prep results through
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-71 ... tml#381565

Though my maths is ok and i hope to do well, I am scared of my verbal because the score is fluctuating. I had appeared CAT 1 of MGMAT last weekend and scored 38 in verbal. How similar is MGMAT verbal to actual GMAT verbal?

Also I welcome suggestions on keeping quant scores intact. I am not practicing quants at all. My test date is 6th Aug and i do not get more than 2 hours to study per day.

My target score is 740 and any score lower than target score in Prep tests isn't doing any good to my morale.
Hello

Firstly we would say that stay positive and such anxieties are common during exam preparation time. Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a person tremendously. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your smart phones.

Do let us know if there is anything in particular we can help you with, mail us here [email protected]