some students taking mathematics in school. It no where says that all
students takes mathematics.
Attachments
pic18965.jpg

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:05 pm
Hi,
A talks only about Mathematics and no information is given about a wide range of disciplines. whereas B talks about many legal issues(range of issues). So, B is most similar to the stimulus. Is the OA B?
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

by coderversion1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:18 pm
Lets see each fact which question provides:

Premise 1: Student body takes courses in wide range of disciplines.
Premise 2: Miriam is a student of this university.
Conclusion: Miriam takes courses in wide range of disciplines.

Question Type: Similar flaw in reasoning.
Flaw: Miriam is not equal to whole 'student body', while student body might be taking many disciplines, it might be a contribution of many students taking single disciple. As they are part of student body, it ends up doing lot of disciplines.

To go ahead with this question type we need to build complete structure of the argument in mind. "A community does a an range of activities(assume activity A, act B, Act C, ... ,Act Z). As X is a member of this organization he also does every activity A to Z."

Let's analyze each answer choice:

A. According to our structure traced above, A community (students here) does a range of activities (NOT TRUE, only one activity i.e. taking mathematics is mentioned)[This becomes an essential point to eliminate this choice] As X(Miguel)is a member of the community he does every activity A to Z (not true again, he does only one activity, taking mathematics)

B. Lets compare to our structure again, A community (Editorial board here, correct comparison) does a range of activities A to Z(written on many legal issues here, correct comparison) As X(Louise) is a member of this community so he has done same range of activities A to Z ("So she has written on many legal issues", correct comparison again, hence similar flaw is exhibited here). Strong Contender answer. Let's look for a better answer choice.

C. According to our structure, A community (parts of a bulldozer) does certain range of activities A to Z (is heavy, :( Noo, doesn't feel good.) As X (Machine is bulldozer) is part of community (parts of bulldozer, No No, Not appropriate) [At this point i would reject this and proceed with next answer.]

D. Comparison with our structure: A community (Older automobiles) does certain activities A to Z (change of oil, not right comparison as not a range of activities). As X (New car) is part of community (straight opposite to what we expect according to our structure). [I would reject this answer choice here.]

E. Comparison with our structure: A community (individual cells of brain) does certain range of activities A to Z ( do not do certain activity, thinking, complete opposite to our structure)[I would reject at this point.

Best contender found was [spoiler](B)[/spoiler]. Hence, you know the answer.[/i]