Common vs commonly

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

Common vs commonly

by prachich1987 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:26 am
In contrast with cartographers' most common design of maps that only measure distance , contour maps also measure elevation or height below or above sea level.

A. cartographers' most common design of maps that only measure distance
B. cartographers and their most common design of maps that only measure distance
C. the most common maps designed by cartographers that only measure distance
D. the most commonly designed maps of cartographers that only measure distance
E. the most commonly used maps and only measuring distance

Source :Kaplan
OA : C
How to choose C over D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by jaymw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:18 am
This question tests parallelism.

In contrast with X, contour maps measure something.

You should always compare like things on the GMAT. Therefore, in this example, you must compare maps with maps, and not cartographers with maps or designs with maps. For precisely this reason, A and B are out.

In answer choice E, the word "and" causes confusion. Without it, "only measuring distance" would correctly modify "most commonly used maps". Apart from this, when comparing answer choice E to the original sentence, the entire part about the cartographers has been left out. This is a substantial change in meaning. Therefore, E cannot be correct.

In D, "maps of cartographers" is awkward. You can't have a map of a person, but only one of a city or country or the like.

So, we are left with C. Here, we are comparing maps with maps and encounter no further grammatical trouble.

Hence, C is the correct answer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:22 am
jaymw wrote:This question tests parallelism.

In contrast with X, contour maps measure something.

You should always compare like things on the GMAT. Therefore, in this example, you must compare maps with maps, and not cartographers with maps or designs with maps. For precisely this reason, A and B are out.

In answer choice E, the word "and" causes confusion. Without it, "only measuring distance" would correctly modify "most commonly used maps". Apart from this, when comparing answer choice E to the original sentence, the entire part about the cartographers has been left out. This is a substantial change in meaning. Therefore, E cannot be correct.

In D, "maps of cartographers" is awkward. You can't have a map of a person, but only one of a city or country or the like.

So, we are left with C. Here, we are comparing maps with maps and encounter no further grammatical trouble.

Hence, C is the correct answer.
thanks for the above nice explanation
Now from below two which one will you choose and why?

the most common maps designed by cartographers that only measure distance
the most commonly designed maps by cartographers that only measure distance

Followed by:4 members

by jaymw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:40 am
I can't give you a really academic reason for my choice, but I'd definitely go with the first option.

In the second option, the piece "by cartographers" seems out of place!

But then again, I really don't think the differentiation between "common" and "commonly" is the main issue here. Common, as an adjective, correctly refers to maps, whereas commonly, as an adverb, correctly refers to the verb "designed".

by gmat1011 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 am
in your modified sentence:

"commonly designed maps by" is not correct

'commonly designed' describes the maps. it describes the attributes of the maps in the same way as an adjective would. "designed" here is not functioning as a verb.

In this passive construction you are trying to connect the agent who did an action ('designing') with the actual actionl..

... maps... designed BY cartograhers... is correct

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by RACHVIK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:51 am
Lets look at two options more closely.

compare these with the original sentence. As per the sentence, emphasis is on design of maps and not on how maps are designed. hence option C is correct.

thanx
Rachvik

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:55 am
Be carefull when "ly" appears , commonly is adverb and common is adjective.

C. the most common maps designed by cartographers that only measure distance
---- Here meaning says we need maps which are common and designed by cartographers.

D. the most commonly designed maps of cartographers that only measure distance
---- Here meaning says most frequently designed maps of cartogarphers .

Now which is the better meaningful sentence ? :) [Dnt get biased by colours]

Hope this helps.
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members

by Jim@Grockit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:42 am
I'd also say that the phrase "that only measure distance" is a problem -- in D, it sounds like it is the cartographers that only measure distance, rather than the maps, as restrictive phrases with "that" default to modifying the noun right before them.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm
(D) can also be ruled out due to a preposition error; "commonly designed maps of cartographers" implies that the maps either belong to, or are made of, cartographers; (C)'s "designed by cartographers" is correct.

Hope this helps!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by cgoyal.gmat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:06 pm
Hello,
In option "c" (the most common maps designed by cartographers that only measure distance), it appears to me that it is the 'cartographers' that only measure the distance, not the maps.
If option "d" has an issue with "that only measure distance", then even option "C" has the same issue.
Or do I not understand the modifier 'that' correctly?
Thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:36 pm
Cartographers are people. A phrase meant to describe people would be connected to the sentence with the word "who," rather than the word "that"

It's stylistically awkward, but unambiguously clear, that the word "maps" is being modified twice, by both "designed by cartographers" and "that only measure distance"
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dodgeforgmat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm
In option D'.....maps of Cartographers...' is the clear deterent. It brings out a meaning that the Cartographers are the once who are mapped, which is incorrect.

Even if option D were to state '.....maps by cartographers..', I would opt for C, albite for a less obvious reason. The emphasis of the sentence is on 'maps' and not on 'design'. The contrast, drawn in the sentence, is b/w Comman maps by cartographers and Contour maps. A simple way of arriving at the answer choice is to eliminate the word 'designed' from the answer choice and check if the contrast hold good. Repeat the process after eliminating 'maps'. Clearly, eliminating 'maps' would mean that we are comparing 'design' to 'maps' which is incorrect.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:46 am
Thanks Jim ... Great Explaination
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:43 am
I don't think so this question tests the common vs commonly issue because it tests about the comparison issue between common maps and contour maps

D talks about design of common maps and is therefore the wrong comparison

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by iamadiga » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:21 am
Jim@Grockit wrote:I'd also say that the phrase "that only measure distance" is a problem -- in D, it sounds like it is the cartographers that only measure distance, rather than the maps, as restrictive phrases with "that" default to modifying the noun right before them.
I thought that refers to "cartographers" and hence eliminated the choice. Can someone help me with the usage of "that". Should i take the reference of nounc which is not part of the preposition always ?