Stuck at 610 for 3 Months Please help

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Have the Gmat in about 3 weeks, My scores have been stagnant for like ever now. Q 40 and V 34.
MGMAT 1: 620
MGMAT 2: 590
MGMAT 3: 610
GMAT PREP: 610.
I took the GMAT Prep and had a huge issue with Time Management which lead to random guessing of about 8 Quant (which lead to 6 consecutive wrong answers) and 6 Verbal. On review I could have easily managed quant if handled better.
Verbal end SC is still a Pain, have gone through Manhattan SC but somehow my accuracy is around 70% and I do commit the same error CR and RC around 80%. Have finished off The OGs,kaplan 800,manhattan sc's surely something is wrong with my strat here,
Have planned for 10 days off from work and aim at 700.
Please help me out

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm
Hi!

Panick never helps.

First of all, I strongly advise you against worrying too much about these numbers. What you really need to do is review your errors. Learn from the errors and try to ensure that the mistakes dont repeat if given a similar question agaqin.

And improve your speed. One way of doing this is to not let yourself get to a stage where you suddenly realize that you are left with 8 questions and no time. Instead, stop spending too much time on any question. If any question takes more than 2 minutes, make an educated guess and move on. Atleast you will avoid 6 continuous wrong answers. If you are really confident, a few more seconds will give you the right answer, continue and finish it. The key thing is to avoid 2 or more questions continuously wrong. And to ensure that you complete the test.

For SC: As you yourself have put, you commit the same error. That means you are not taking anything away from your past mistakes.

Going through MGMAT SC is fine. But with 3 weeks to go, I would not recommend spending too much time on it. Repeat the OG SC part again. See if you have learnt anything from working on OG problems in the past. There are many test takers who have scored well only studying OG. So if you learn the concepts from OG well, you are in good stead.

And come to the forum whenever you have to clarificy something (Anything!).
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:11 pm
Thanks a ton..
I have the OG repeat in mind and also taking practice tests in the coming 15 days. I have read it repeatedly in the online forums that moving up 100 points in less than a month is almost a miracle. Is this true?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 pm
It may be true but it depends on other factors. People scoring 650 find it impossible to attain scores in 750-760 range within a month.

You put your best foot forward and accept what comes after that. All the best.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Followed by:2 members

by aanchalsinha » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:26 pm
Hey,

I have my GMAT in about 3 weeks as well. My last score was 600 Q43 V28. I had a major panick attack over the weekend but after getting some advice from Vineesh and some others, I'm back on track! I think the best one can do is go over the topics that you are making mistakes in, specially the concepts that you get quiet easily - fractions, integers etc. I'm going over all the OG sums and Quant/Verbal Review questions by topic. I have also signed up for Master GMAT which is an online weekly course that has helped me with some strategies which I find OG does not offer. For SC, I'm going over Manhattan's guide and getting the concepts right.

So dont panick and keep up the good work..! Good Luck

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:05 pm
Thanks Aanchal..
I am going through OG 10 and have 15 Days to go now.. If you have last 10 days study plan and if you are ready to share them I would be thrilled.
I plan to just go through the 12th edition and Review books for the mistakes, but am wondering where to get hold of 700+ material. I still aim a 700 + so if you or Vineesh could help me I would be obliged.

by aanchalsinha » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 pm
Swapna,

I find Quant/Verbal Review guides tougher than OG Review. I would suggest (this may not be the best advice) going over the areas, in both Quant and Verbal, that you find slightly tough for maybe the next 5 - 6 days. Beyond that, I'd say stick to the skills you have built up and just practice. Don't try and cram up any study a week prior to the exam. This is the advice I have gotten from friends etc. Maybe attempt a number of tests before your exam so I'd say maybe 5 -6 over the next 2 weeks. Make sure to attempt the AWA sections as well. Leave the GMAT Prep tests for the last few days. Work through Manhattan's CATs exams as they give you good explanations.

What else have you been doing to brush up on your Quant? My verbal score is appaulling and I really wish to pull that up to around 35.

Does anyone else have any advice for the last 2 weeks??

by aanchalsinha » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 pm
Also I found this today, might be helpful?

https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

by aanchalsinha » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm
Another one. Run some searches in G. You'll surely find some practice sums. Lots of questions in the MGMAT CAT tests too.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/198-level-70 ... 43783.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:51 pm
Hi,
Before going through OG for SC, just go through the theory on modifiers. I am sure most of the people commit mistakes in SC because of Modifiers only. You can go through 'Modifiers', Parallelism and related concepts from the following sources(I am not sure how well it is covered in MGMAT SC because I haven't referred it)
1) BTG articles on modifiers
2) e-gmat blogs on modifiers
3) https://www.beatthegmat.com/ing-modifier ... 38943.html

You need to understand the various cases of verb+ed, verb+ing modifiers with/without comma. What happens when the sentence starts with/without such modifiers and Parallelism. Once, you cover these concepts, you would be very confident about SC and then while practicing OG/GMAT Prep, you will clearly know the difference. If you still have time, you should definitely follow the discussions of SC questions on MGMAT forums, particularly Ron's post. You haven't posted your Quant scores. I guess you are an Indian and aiming for 700+, you should aim for at least 49 in Quant.
Good Luck!
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:08 pm
aanchalsinha wrote:Another one. Run some searches in G. You'll surely find some practice sums. Lots of questions in the MGMAT CAT tests too.

Were you able to download this?? I somehow cant download, even the flascards from BTG I couldnt..

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 pm
[email protected] wrote:
aanchalsinha wrote:Another one. Run some searches in G. You'll surely find some practice sums. Lots of questions in the MGMAT CAT tests too.

Were you able to download this?? I somehow cant download, even the flascards from BTG I couldnt..
Hi,
Try using browsers other than Chrome. You should be able to download.
Cheers!

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:22 pm
My Quant scores are actually worse... My split ranges from Q 40-42/ Verbal 33-34.
In my last mock I had a huge issue with Time Management and Amongst the Q's I got wrong I could have managed 70% of them later. I know I hoping beyond hopes but I definitely dont wana give up my 700 Hopes.
I have managed 10 days off from work and want to utilise this time to the fullest as I have been someone who does wrap up stuff in the last minute...
Any advice would be great.. Thanks
Frankenstein wrote:Hi,
Before going through OG for SC, just go through the theory on modifiers. I am sure most of the people commit mistakes in SC because of Modifiers only. You can go through 'Modifiers', Parallelism and related concepts from the following sources(I am not sure how well it is covered in MGMAT SC because I haven't referred it)
1) BTG articles on modifiers
2) e-gmat blogs on modifiers
3) https://www.beatthegmat.com/ing-modifier ... 38943.html

You need to understand the various cases of verb+ed, verb+ing modifiers with/without comma. What happens when the sentence starts with/without such modifiers and Parallelism. Once, you cover these concepts, you would be very confident about SC and then while practicing OG/GMAT Prep, you will clearly know the difference. If you still have time, you should definitely follow the discussions of SC questions on MGMAT forums, particularly Ron's post. You haven't posted your Quant scores. I guess you are an Indian and aiming for 700+, you should aim for at least 49 in Quant.
Good Luck!

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:33 pm
Hi,
I am not questioning your hopes. I just wanted to tell you that I feel it is easy for us improve Quant scores. I feel Quant in MGMAT tests is tougher than other tests. Moreover, I felt Quant in initial MGMAT tests(say1,2,3) to be tougher than Quant in the later tests. So, never lose hope. Well, time management comes only by practice. So, with a marginal increase in your accuracy, if you can finish Quant section in time, your Quant score should increase by at least 5 points. Combine this with a slight improvement in Verbal, you should be able to reach your target.
Cheers!

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:49 pm
Hey Thanks again..

As per Verbal Thursdays with Ron is a great resource, especially the session on Modifiers and After OG 10 I do feel practice is the key for SC

As per Quant I am still hunting for the right resource for 700 plus.. Someone suggested Kaplan 800 but honestly It does no good, Also We cant reset the MGMAT CATS, I would be covering the Q pool there later for Maths once I am done with all 6, also there are OLD GMAT Paper sets available, only issue is I dont have the explanatory answer sets so these are the things I have in Mind..

quote="aanchalsinha"]Swapna,

I find Quant/Verbal Review guides tougher than OG Review. I would suggest (this may not be the best advice) going over the areas, in both Quant and Verbal, that you find slightly tough for maybe the next 5 - 6 days. Beyond that, I'd say stick to the skills you have built up and just practice. Don't try and cram up any study a week prior to the exam. This is the advice I have gotten from friends etc. Maybe attempt a number of tests before your exam so I'd say maybe 5 -6 over the next 2 weeks. Make sure to attempt the AWA sections as well. Leave the GMAT Prep tests for the last few days. Work through Manhattan's CATs exams as they give you good explanations.

What else have you been doing to brush up on your Quant? My verbal score is appaulling and I really wish to pull that up to around 35.

Does anyone else have any advice for the last 2 weeks??[/quote]