Please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by dairymilk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 am
Hi,

I took GMAT yesterday and scored 710(Should I retake?). This was my second attempt. In the first attempt I had scored 690(I was working late in office and hence was not able to sleep for 48 hours before giving the tests).

A look at my profile :

I am an Indian IT female. I have completed my Bachelors in Technology from a reputed institute in India with an average GPA of 4.3/5 ( 86 percent in terms of total marks).
I have 3+ years of work experience in the best (US) Products Developing company(if not the best then one of the best). I have cleared french DELF examinations and couple of stock markets examinations. I am actively involved in social work and work regularly for an NGO for Teaching in India. Also I work part time for AIDS and Leprosy awareness campaigns. I am the member of the creative community from our office and part of the core team for many organizational events. I am a free lancer writer and have my personal blog(which I am maintaining from past 4 years). I have won writing contests and I also write for social causes.

Apart from this I am a fitness and Yoga fanatic and deeply involved in Art of living work across India.
Professionally I have received 5-6 awards during my tenure at the company and currently lead a vendor team of 3 people.

Please evaluate my profile.

Thanks for the help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:20 pm
Dear dairymilk,

It is hard to say if you need to expend resources on a retake as you do not indicate which schools you are targeting. Your 710 is certainly competitive for any program, but decisions are made on more than a GMAT score. I think you have many positives in your profile, so if you must choose between spending time on your applications and preparing for a retake, then I think your time is better spent on writing your applications.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by dairymilk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:09 am
Hi Lisa,

I am targeting below universities

1. Tuck
2. ROSS
3. INSEAD France (my dream shot)
4. Chicago Booth
5. ISB

Please suggest me improvements and will a retake make a difference as such .

Thanks a lot

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:28 pm
I reiterate my earlier comment: do not expend resources on a retake if it means sacrificing other parts of your application. For top programs like your target schools, each piece of your application must be strong. At a 710, you are at/slightly above average for most schools on that application component. While a higher score won't hurt, I don't know that it is necessary unless you feel other parts of your background will not strengthen your applications. For example, if you do not have unique experiences to differentiate your application from similar applicants, or if you do not have any leadership experiences to write about, then a higher GMAT score might be necessary to balance out a potential weakness or distinguish you. Think about your background and how you plan to present it in your applications--if you don't feel it will distinguish you enough from similar applicants or there is a potential weakness, then it might be worth raising your score.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by dairymilk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 am
Hi Lisa,

Apologies for the delay in my response. I was onsite and hence I could not reply. I have decided not to take the GMAT again :) and continue with my application process. I have one question that I wanted to discuss: As of now my profile is very IT oriented but post MBA I want to pursue a career in marketing. Can you suggest which short term courses I can take and some books on the subject to gain a knowledge on marketing since I am a novice to the actual work in the field.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:24 am
I find www.vault.com and www.wetfeet.com to be helpful with career research. Both sites offer plentiful information on the numerous MBA careers in marketing, including real world profiles.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by dairymilk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am
Thanks Lisa :)