except

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

except

by gmatnmein2010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:21 pm
The tobacco industry is still profitable and projections are that it will remain so. In the United States this year, the total amount of tobacco sold by tobacco-farmers has increased, even though the number of adults who smoke has decreased.

Each of the following, if true, could explain the simultaneous increase in tobacco sales and decrease in the number of adults who smoke EXCEPT:
A. During this year, the number of women who have begun to smoke is greater than the number of men who have quit smoking.
B. The number of teen-age children who have begun to smoke this year is greater than the number of adults who have quit smoking during the same period.
C. During this year, the number of nonsmokers who have begun to use chewing tobacco or snuff is greater than the number of people who have quit smoking.
D. The people who have continued to smoke consume more tobacco per person than they did in the past.
E. More of the cigarettes made in the United States this year were exported to other countries than was the case last year.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:50 pm
IMO C because it doesn't offer any information as to why there could have been an increase... all of the rest do
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:53 pm
It is A....Adults did not decreased and there is no evidence that use of tobacco is increased.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm
is that the correct answer? because if you have 5 men and 5 women who smoke thats 10 people who smoke.. and 2 men stop and 3 women start.. that's 11 people who smoke

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:59 pm
A. During this year, the number of women who have begun to smoke is greater than the number of men who have quit smoking. [now if women have begun to smoke then the number of adults increases, unlike what is stated in the stimulus. Correct answer]

B. The number of teen-age children who have begun to smoke this year is greater than the number of adults who have quit smoking during the same period. [this tells why there is an increase in tobacco sales evn though the number of adults who smoke has decreased. Eliminated!]

C. During this year, the number of nonsmokers who have begun to use chewing tobacco or snuff is greater than the number of people who have quit smoking. [again explains why tobacco sales increased even though smokers decreased. Eliminated!]

D. The people who have continued to smoke consume more tobacco per person than they did in the past. [provides a reason. Eliminated!]

E. More of the cigarettes made in the United States this year were exported to other countries than was the case last year. [again tells why there is a discrepancy. Eliminated!]

Hope this helps!

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 pm
Question is to show that adults are decreasing. As per A Adults are increasing

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:04 pm
gmatnmein2010 wrote:The tobacco industry is still profitable and projections are that it will remain so. In the United States this year, the total amount of tobacco sold by tobacco-farmers has increased, even though the number of adults who smoke has decreased.

Each of the following, if true, could explain the simultaneous increase in tobacco sales and decrease in the number of adults who smoke EXCEPT:
A. During this year, the number of women who have begun to smoke is greater than the number of men who have quit smoking.
B. The number of teen-age children who have begun to smoke this year is greater than the number of adults who have quit smoking during the same period.
C. During this year, the number of nonsmokers who have begun to use chewing tobacco or snuff is greater than the number of people who have quit smoking.
D. The people who have continued to smoke consume more tobacco per person than they did in the past.
E. More of the cigarettes made in the United States this year were exported to other countries than was the case last year.

IMO A
A) During this year, the number of women who have begun to smoke is greater than the number of men who have quit smoking.
This is the answer. Overall the number of adults have reduced smoking. It doesn't matter if women have increased smoking as compared to men.

Rest of the answers actually help in explaining the paradox

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 pm
wait but isn't this looking for the one that DOES NOT explain the increase? it says EXCEPT

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 pm
yes perfect!thats the reson we eliminated B, C, D and E coz they explain the paradox. A does not.

by paddle_sweep » Sat May 01, 2010 12:59 am
What's the official answer and how 'E' explains the paradox please?

Followed by:1 members

by clawhammer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:35 am
Can you guys please explain why not B ?

- The number of teenage children who started smoking this year > the number of adults who quit. - I get this.

HOWEVER: It doesn't say the number of children who was smoking last year remained the same!

This increase in number can make up for the number of children from the last year who stopped smoking?

For example:
Number of teenage smokers in '09: 20
Number of teenage smokers in '10: 20 (10 began smoking this year + 10 stopped?)
Decrease in adult smokers in '10: 10

That still wont solve the issue. - And total number of teenage smokers could even decrease?

B says the number of teenagers who started smoking this year increased, NOT total number of teenage smokers increased.

Can anyone help clearing my confusion? - Where am I getting it wrong?
Last edited by clawhammer on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by abhi.genx7 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:35 am
Definitely need an expert answer

by clawhammer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:32 am
abhi.genx7 wrote:Definitely need an expert answer
Anyone? :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by hcueva » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:49 am
Guys, it is A)

B) INCORRECT because even though adults are quitting, teens are picking it up in greater numbers; therefore profitability increases.
C) INCORRECT because even though adults are quitting smoking, people are picking up other forms of tobacco consumption.
D) INCORRECT because even though adults are quitting, the non-quitters are smoking more; increasing sales per person.
E) INCORRECT because even though US adults are quitting, exports are increasing.

Meanwhile A) explains the increase in profitability, but doesn't explain the decrease in adult smokers.

by clawhammer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:40 pm
hcueva wrote:Guys, it is A)

B) INCORRECT because even though adults are quitting, teens are picking it up in greater numbers; therefore profitability increases.
C) INCORRECT because even though adults are quitting smoking, people are picking up other forms of tobacco consumption.
D) INCORRECT because even though adults are quitting, the non-quitters are smoking more; increasing sales per person.
E) INCORRECT because even though US adults are quitting, exports are increasing.

Meanwhile A) explains the increase in profitability, but doesn't explain the decrease in adult smokers.

I don't think B is saying teens are picking it up, only teens added this year are more than adults quitting. But total teens could still be the same as last year's.

- Please review my 1st reply to this (3 posts back), to see where I'm having the problem.