Veritas Prep Challenge Question

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

Veritas Prep Challenge Question

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:41 am
As advertised on the main page of Beat the GMAT, Ashley, David, and I will be posting some original questions today and tomorrow with prizes for the first five students to respond with correct answers that show your work!

Here's a Sentence Correction question to kick things off.

While being a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome as to become a distraction that overshadowed his all-pro performance level and ultimately forced the team to release him.

A) While being a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome as to become

B) In his tenure as a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens displayed a me-first attitude that was so tiresome as to become

C) While playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome that it became

D) Terrell Owens, while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, had his me-first attitude being so tiresome that it became

E) Terrell Owens displayed a me-first attitude, while being a Philadelphia Eagle, that was so tiresome that it became

(For more information on the contest, please visit https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/07/ ... g-tomorrow, and note that the "tomorrow" in the URL was posted yesterday, making the date in question "today"!)
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sdas0112 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:44 am
[spoiler]C) Correct Answer[/spoiler]

Incorrect grammatical construction.

by Nemesis09 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:50 am
Answer: (E)

While being a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome as to become a distraction that overshadowed his all-pro performance level and ultimately forced the team to release him.

A) While being a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome as to become
--> The opening modifier incorrectly modifies Terrell Owens' attitude. It is supposed to modify Terrell Owen.

B) In his tenure as a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens displayed a me-first attitude that was so tiresome as to become
--> The opening modifier correctly modifies Terrell Owens but incorrect idiom usage - so X as to Y

C) While playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome that it became
--> The opening modifier incorrectly modifies Terrell Owens' attitude. It is supposed to modify Terrell Owen.

D) Terrell Owens, while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, had his me-first attitude being so tiresome that it became
--> Incorrect Verb Construction + Tense error.

E) Terrell Owens displayed a me-first attitude, while being a Philadelphia Eagle, that was so tiresome that it became
--> 'while being a Philadelphia Eagle' correctly used verb modifier. Correct idiom usage: So X that Y.
Last edited by Nemesis09 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:59 am
A) While being a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome as to become --> The subject should be Owens, not his attitude as the modifier is modifying the person

C) While playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome that it became --> same as A

D) Terrell Owens, while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, had his me-first attitude being so tiresome that it became. -> tense error

E) Terrell Owens displayed a me-first attitude, while being a Philadelphia Eagle, that was so tiresome that it became --> the modifier modifies Owens. So, it should be clsoe to OWens and not attitude..misplaced modifier.

Hence, B
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:59 am
Opening modifier incorrectly modifies attitude
Correct
Opening Modifier " In his tenure ....." correctly modifies Terrell Owens
so as to shows the correct cause effect relationship

Opening modifier incorrectly modifies attitude

This sentence seems as if owen's attitude was tiresome on its own . This sentence is also awkward and uses past perfect unnecessarily
That clause is misplaced modifier
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

by LifeChanger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:11 pm
Correct ans is B
A- being is usually avoided and Opening modifier modifies a possessive noun
C-Opening modifier modifies a possessive noun
D- awkward phrasing
E-while being a Philadelphia Eagle is not positioned correctly and also the construction is incorrect

by beyondgmatscore » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Incorrect modifier

Correct modifier and right construction overall

Incorrect modifier

Incorrect tense

Misplaced modifier

Correct answer B

by angelicblue15908 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:16 pm
Answer - E

A) While being a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome as to become - incorrectly modifies Terrel's attitude

B) In his tenure as a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens displayed a me-first attitude that was so tiresome as to become - so tiresome as to become is an example of incorrect idiom usage

C) While playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome that it became - incorrectly modifies Terrel's attitude

D) Terrell Owens, while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, had his me-first attitude being so tiresome that it became - tense discrepancies

E) Terrell Owens displayed a me-first attitude, while being a Philadelphia Eagle, that was so tiresome that it became - correct answer

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by nav!n » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:38 pm
A) While being a Philadelphia Eagle, Terrell Owens' me-first attitude was so tiresome as to become --
  • The subject is Terrell Owens which is wrong

• correct
  • In this option subject is Terrell Owens not his attitude
D) Terrell Owens, while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, had his me-first attitude being so tiresome that it became.
  • "Being" incorrect usage of tense
:D

• Misplaced modifier
Dear life , When I said "Can my day get any worse" It was a rhetorical question not a challenge!

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Incorrect: Easy to identify of course; The opening modifier is intended to modify Terrell but here it modifies "Terrell Owens' me-first attitude".

Incorrect: "In his tenure as a Philadelphia Eagle" is Unidiomatic;

Incorrect: Same error as in A;

D)Terrell Owens, while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles, had his me-first attitude being so tiresome that it became
Correct;In fact this sentence needs being to make it correct. "It" is used correctly.

E)Terrell Owens displayed a me-first attitude, while being a Philadelphia Eagle, that was so tiresome that it became
[/quote]

Incorrect: Placement of "while being a Philadelphia Eagle" is not correct. It should be close to Terrel.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:39 pm
wonderful question.

Would love to have one CR challenge from David and Brian.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:46 pm
your wish is my command...

CR question going up right now.

David
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by xxpatzz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Incorrect: Usage of "Being" is wrong and "While being a Philadelphia Eagle" incorrectly modifies Terrell Owens' attitude

Correct

Incorrect: "While playing for the Philadelphia EaglesTerrell" wrongly modifies Owens' attitude

Incorrect: Usage of "being" is incorrect

Incorrect: Usage of "being" is incorrect

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sanabk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:55 pm
IMO - B
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student