Hmm CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

Hmm CR

by mundasingh123 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:24 pm
Because city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve, they clearly have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities.

The conclusion above rests on which of the following assumptions?

A) Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council.
B) Managing the affairs of a large city requires a more significant time commitment than working directly with the public.
C)City council members in small towns are often related to a certain percentage of the population, making them intimately acquainted with the people they serve.
D)Residents of small towns often attend city council meetings to present their concerns.
E)City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sanabk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sanabk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:25 pm
Negate D and the argument falls apart.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by abhi0697 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:45 am
IMO A

Premise: city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve
Conclusion: city council members in small towns have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities

Assumption: acquaintance with public creates difficulty for city council members

This is stated in A, also try negating A directly breaks the conclusion.

Tried negating D, but I don't think this breaks the conclusion.

Clearly IMO the correct answer is A

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:53 am
abhi0697 wrote:IMO A

Premise: city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve
Conclusion: city council members in small towns have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities

Assumption: acquaintance with public creates difficulty for city council members

This is stated in A, also try negating A directly breaks the conclusion.

Tried negating D, but I don't think this breaks the conclusion.

Clearly IMO the correct answer is A
What makes you think that city council members in larger cities do not work with the public

Followed by:2 members

by abhi0697 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:23 am
It goes like "city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve" and "acquaintance with public creates difficulty for city council members", and hence conclusion: "city council members in small towns have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities"

City council members in larger cities may be working closely with public but this is not necessary assumption for conclusion to be valid. I hope this makes things clear, thanks..

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:36 am
abhi0697 wrote:It goes like "city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve" and "acquaintance with public creates difficulty for city council members", and hence conclusion: "city council members in small towns have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities"

City council members in larger cities may be working closely with public but this is not necessary assumption for conclusion to be valid. I hope this makes things clear, thanks..
The conclusion is city council members in small towns have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities"
You are comparing city council member in cities with those in towns . How can you conclude something about council members in small towns without considering the situation for council members in cities

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by amp0201 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 am

Conclusion: they (small city council members) clearly have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities.

Premise: small town council members are involved with public they serve.

[P] + [A] = [C]
[involved with public] + [?] = [difficult job]

Clearly assumption is - job with public involvement is challenging, making job difficult.

Hence A.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:15 am
Again people are not paying attention to what i highlighted about the comparison part . of course p + a = c issue has been propounded in all cr books that are worth their salt

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 am
Hi,
Both A and E are assumptions, IMO. I am not sure how we can eliminate one of them. Source and OE?
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:45 am
Frankenstein wrote:Hi,
Both A and E are assumptions, IMO. I am not sure how we can eliminate one of them. Source and OE?
Don't You feel E is too Extreme for an assumption question . The council members in the city dont have to hold meetings rarely for this Conclusion to hold
They could hold meeting s occasionally and still not get to interact well with the public
Source :GmatClub Tests that come with over 200 posts on Gmatclub / 25 Kudos

by rveeraga » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:52 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:
The conclusion is city council members in small towns have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities"
You are comparing city council member in cities with those in towns . How can you conclude something about council members in small towns without considering the situation for council members in cities
Because the premises does not contain any information about city council members but the conclusion has, the argument might fall under invalid (flawed) argument category.

Consider this:
Because city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve + Assumption + they clearly have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities.
Assumption= Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council.