Is the following sentence correct

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

Is the following sentence correct

by mundasingh123 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:08 am
Is E correct ?
If not what s exactly wrong with it
okies i know D is incorrect but is " singapore has the same population as kansas " correct ?
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:43 pm
Great question - the glaring problem in E is that the meaning is illogical. Singapore does not have "Kansas's population in one-three hundredths of its area". Kansas's population is, for the most part, in Kansas!

The sentence as written puts the actual people of Kansas within Singapore, and that's not logical. It would need to say something like "with the equivalent of the population of Kansas located within only 3/100 of its area..." - noting that the number is the same as the population figure for Kansas.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:57 pm
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Great question - the glaring problem in E is that the meaning is illogical. Singapore does not have "Kansas's population in one-three hundredths of its area". Kansas's population is, for the most part, in Kansas!

The sentence as written puts the actual people of Kansas within Singapore, and that's not logical. It would need to say something like "with the equivalent of the population of Kansas located within only 3/100 of its area..." - noting that the number is the same as the population figure for Kansas.
Hi Brian Thank U for comeing to the rescue . Cant its in (E) refer to Kansas . In that case wont E be corrrect . kansas is the closest entity to "its" .
Also is ", with X or Y " a correct structure here in E . I am referring to "an average of "

Also Brian
You didnt comment on
singapore has the same population as kansas
Could the sentense mean that singapore and kansas both have the same population . Coul this sentence be incorrect because its not comparing the population figures but the people that comprise the population , that is for example the same 100000 people live in both kansas and Singapore .
I Seek Explanations Not Answers