Standard Dev

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Standard Dev

by MBA.Aspirant » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:29 am
X is the set of n natural numbers (x1,x2.......xn) and Y is another set of n natural numbers (y1,y2.......yn), such that ax+by+c=0. If the standard deviation of set X is 'M', what is the standard deviation of set Y?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:11 am
MBA.Aspirant wrote:X is the set of n natural numbers (x1,x2.......xn) and Y is another set of n natural numbers (y1,y2.......yn), such that ax+by+c=0. If the standard deviation of set X is 'M', what is the standard deviation of set Y?
I think I've asked you this a few times in other threads, but where are these questions from?

The wording here is pretty bad. What they mean to say is that, for each value y_k in the second set, b*y_k = -a*x_k - c, so y_k = (-a/b)*x_k - c. That is, to get the values in the second set, we take each value in the first set, multiply it by -a/b, and subtract c.

Now, adding or subtracting some constant to every value in a set has no effect on the distances between the elements in your set, so has no effect on the standard deviation. So c is irrelevant here. If we multiply everything in a set by some positive value r, all of the distances within the set get multiplied by r as well, so the standard deviation is multiplied by r. Here, we are multiplying every value by -a/b. This quantity could be positive or negative, so we don't know if the standard deviation is multiplied by -a/b or by a/b, but we can be certain it's multiplied by | -a/b | , or more simply, by |a/b|.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by amit2k9 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:49 am
y= -(a/b)x - c/b

for x with deviation M

y will have (a/b)M as its deviation.
For Understanding Sustainability,Green Businesses and Social Entrepreneurship visit -https://aamthoughts.blocked/
(Featured Best Green Site Worldwide-https://bloggers.com/green/popular/page2)