Profile Evaluation: 710 GMAT 5 years work ex

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

I was hoping to get a profile evaluation.

I graduated with a Masters in Computer Science in 2007 from USC. I have been working since then in a high-tech software company as a QA Engineer. I haven't been managing people, working as an individual contributor.

GMAT: 710 (48 Q 37 V)
GPA(Masters): 3.3
Major: Masters in Computer Science
Year of graduation: 2007
GPA(Undergraduate): 3.1
Major: Bachelors in Information Systems
Year of Graduation: 2005
Work: 5 years as an individual contributor
Extra curricular: Avid participation in after work events, organized several events at work, managed auction committee at a charity
Post MBA Goal: Marketing\Brand Management

I am looking to apply to:

Berkeley Haas
UCLA Anderson
NYU Stern
Harvard (maybe, don't know if I have a realistic shot)
Kellog
MIT Sloan
Columbia (maybe)

I will probably narrow down from this list. I will also include one safe school. Could you advise me what my safe school should be ?What are my chances of getting into the above mentioned programs? I would appreciate any feedback. I am just about starting to work on my applications.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:19 am
Dear chaosgirl,

There are many positives to your profile that will be of interest to any MBA program. The key is to submit a strong, overall package to get a positive decision. Thus effectively use your essays, recommendations, resume and (hopefully) interview to make your compelling case for admission and convey your rationale for an MBA to give yourself the best chance. Your target list is not unrealistic; however, it is all highly selective schools. I encourage you to really do the research to determine which ones are the best match for you and add some more reasonable and safety programs to the mix. Reasonable/safety programs would be schools that are not as selective as the top 10 and where your profile is above average. Perhaps look for programs with good brand management programs and strong ties to your desired post-MBA industry? There are many potential options for you once you start to look, spread geographically but a fair number in the midwest. Maybe look at Indiana (Kelley), UT-Austin, UNC and Vanderbilt as a place to start your research?

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by chaosgirl » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Thanks for your reply, Lisa.

I am not too keen on moving to the mid west. I would prefer schools either on the west coast or east coast. Are there any "safe" schools you would recommend on the west/east coast?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:09 pm
There are schools everywhere that will match your criteria. What is important for you to determine is if these programs have strong enough ties to the companies/industry you want to work in post-MBA. Perhaps look at where companies you aspire to work recruit MBAs from as a way to identify schools on the coasts? Or look at schools on the coasts that you think might be a match and see if they have obvious ties? I think you will find some solid reasonable and safety options in the northeast and on the west coast.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me