Need some ADVICE!

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need some ADVICE!

by vgharibj » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:05 pm
Hi guys,

New to the forums here..just wanted to get some feedback on those who have more experience than I in applying for an MBA program. The problem is my GPA. I thought I would be short and schedule out the facts and keep my eyes and ears open to your comments.

The Facts:
GMAT: M

Education:
High School: 3.6 GPA 720 + on math sections of SAT I and II's(if this means anything)
Undergraduate: UCI Engineering 2.1 GPA (Cause of work and other personal reasons)

Work Experience: I think I have a relatively strong list of work experience for my age(cant get in to to much detail) but it includes:

Quality Control Technician- Used computers/machinery to test IC chips.
Project Analyst- where I did R&D for a high level networking project(published in patent) for a growing midcap firm.
Financial Intern Analyst- helped with firm side in a recapitalization process with a big name investment bank.
Financial Adviser- I am currently a licensed financial adviser with about a million in AUM at a top mutual fund company(have my series 7, 66 and life insurance licensees).

GMAT- I took one practice test from mba.com without any studying and after a long day at work and scored a 640(Q45 V32). I am pretty sure I can break 730/40 with months of studying.

I have strong EC activities and affiliations as well. Assuming I have a well written app and strong letters of rec, WHAT ELSE can I do to have a shot at a top 20 school B-School? In another words, I know I don't have a chance right now, but what can I do between now and the right application days to improve my chances.

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 pm
Dear vgharibj,

You can't change your GPA, so you need to balance it out with other application components and mitigate the concern the admissions committee might have as a result. Your GMAT score being in the 700s will help to demonstrate your aptitude, but you might consider taking 2-3 courses to demonstrate your ability to succeed in the classroom. I would suggest taking math and strong analytical courses like college algebra, calculus and statistics. If you did well in those courses in college, then you might also consider accounting and finance courses. Your high school GPA and SAT scores are irrelevant in MBA admissions. Other than preparing for and scoring well on the GMAT, you want to continue to progress in your career and seek out leadership opportunities both inside and outside the office. If you don't have much opportunity to lead a team in the workplace, then seeking out those opportunities in your community work will be advantageous.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me