710 (Q49/V36)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

710 (Q49/V36)

by TrebleMaker85 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Yesterday I sat for the GMAT and scored a 710 (Q49/V36). Although I know 710 is a fairly good score, I was really banking on an exceptional score (750+) to compensate for other weaknesses in my application. Clearly my Verbal subscore brought me down, which was a little surprising due to the improvement I saw over the past three months:

Practice exams (in chronological order)
MGMAT CAT#1 - 640 (42Q, 36V) (no prior GMAT preparation)
MGMAT CAT#2 - 700 (47Q, 38V)
GMATPrep CAT#1 - 750 (not sure what the breakdown was)
MGMAT CAT#3 - 690 (43Q, 40V)
MGMAT CAT#4 - 690 (43Q, 40V)
GMATPrep CAT#2 - 710 (49Q, 39V)
MGMAT CAT#5 - 770 (50Q, 45V)

Background
B.S. Mathematics, 2007 - 3.2 GPA from Top 25 University in the U.S.
Licensed CPA since 2008, public accounting background (regional firm)
No EC/Volunteer work or leadership roles outside work
Targeting Top 10 MBA Programs

Interestingly enough, in my preparation, Quant was far more of an issue. Although I was a Math major in college, when it came to the GMAT, I had a serious problem letting go of difficult questions and moving on. As a result, I'd spend 3-4 minutes on a difficult question, fall short on time, and have to randomly guess on the last 6 or 7 questions. So I focused on mastering the math content and improving my speed, which evidently paid off.

At the same time, I also focused on polishing my verbal skills by reviewing the Manhattan GMAT material and doing the most difficult sample questions in the Official Guide and OG Verbal Supplement. I consistently got about 90% of the questions correct, so it was difficult for me to pinpoint any real weakness. With the bump in my Quant score as a result of nailing the timing, I was certain I could comfortably score in the 750+ range.

Needless to say, I was shocked when I saw the score breakdown. I know my overall score was comparable to some of the earlier practice exams that I took, but I think if you compare the subscores you will understand why I'm slightly perplexed. Having received a Verbal subscore of 36 on my baseline practice exam, it would appear that I haven't improved at all! I find that especially troubling.

I would really appreciate some advice. Should I retake the GMAT? I do feel confident that if I spend the next 30 days further polishing my verbal skills, I can achieve my target score 750. But the problem is, my time is severely limited. Due to the seasonal nature of my work, I'll be back to working 80 hour weeks between mid-August and October. Clearly a hindrance. Am I better off forgetting about the low verbal subscore and focusing my efforts on the essays/remaining application package, or should I give it another go, bite the bullet for another month, and wear myself thin through October? I suppose I could also start on apps now while continuing to prepare for the GMAT.

Would really appreciate any insight. If you can recommend any useful Verbal study guides to really beef up my Verbal skills, that would be great!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:30 am
Hi,

If you cannot put in anything towards the apps during August - October, then I advice you against another GMAT now. Do you have essay drafts and info in place? The app process can be daunting.

Do you think that, after giving another GMAT, you can still manage 3-4 round 1 apps? If yes, go for it. But then, make sure you improve by 30 points or more. That is a guarantee no one can give.

I would also recommend spending the time on EC work. There is only so much GMAT can do for an application. Other parts are equally important.

So basically you are your best judge. :) 710 is not a bad score and congrats on that.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)