This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Profile Evaluation

by gauravjha » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:15 am
Hi ,
My profile is as follow:

26/Indian/IT/Male

690 in GMAT ( considering retaking by July end)
Schools planning to apply(Majorly I am focusing on 1 year MBA) : NUS/ISB/INSEAD/AA

Currently working as Senior Engineer in Oracle. Working with teams in US and Germany. Earliest in my team to got promoted.

Education:
10th: 84%
12th: 82%
Graduation (B.tech in CS from Delhi College of Engineering) 71% ( top 15% of the class)

Extra Curricular:
1) Leading Succeed@Work Initiative at Work. Started Photography, Drama, Dance, Cycle, Go Green clubs.
2) Started my High School Alumni Club in current city
3) Founded " Sanskrit School" along with my grandfather in remote village. Currently 3rd batch is studying.
4) Was General Secretary of IEEE Chapter in my college. Also held position of financial controller during that time for same chapter. Awarded Best Volunteer all over Country by IEEE.
5) Started many EC clubs at college level like: Fine Arts, photography
6) One of the 7 members selected all over India for participating in ASES China.

Hobbies:
1) Passionate about photography, Travelling( have visited many international destinations).
2) Avid football follower, played in college football team also.
3) Passionate about starting new initiatives and leading them to success

Short Term Goals:
To work for sometime (around 2-3 years) in Management/IT Consulting firm in Asia-Pacific market.

Long Term Goal:
Shall start my own talent hunt firm to work from remote/ground up for people with less access to all resources. Have a plan on what to do, no business plan ready, wanting to learn more on that in B school.

My few questions:
1) Does being in Indian It Male category with an average profile hampers my chances of getting accepted.
2) Does absence of any community work (NGO etc.) reduces the diversity in my profile.
3) How can I reflect my International experience in my application, as whole of my team is in US and Germany, so can this be counted as International Experience?
4)What are the qualities that schools look for in candidate while evaluating application.
5) Does my inclination on working in Asia pacific markets reduces the chances on selection in B-school?
6) If there are some loopholes in profile, are there any ways in which I can overcome them?
7) Is planning on doing 1 year MBA reducing my options?

Thanks in Advance for help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:48 pm
Dear gauravjha,

To answer your questions:
1) Does being in Indian It Male category with an average profile hampers my chances of getting accepted.
2) Does absence of any community work (NGO etc.) reduces the diversity in my profile.
4)What are the qualities that schools look for in candidate while evaluating application.

Having a common profile like "Indian IT male" does not hamper your chance of being admitted, but it does mean you have to find a way to stand out from similar applicants so that your application will be selected over their applications. Schools value diversity in their classes and do not want too many students with the same background. Not having any community work could be a disadvantage in your profile as it is an area where other Indian IT male applicants might be able to outshine you. Thus you need to determine what in your background could differentiate you in the eyes of the admissions committee and be viewed as a valuable addition to the class. Schools look for applicants that can first and foremost handle the academic curriculum and then add value by bringing interesting and diverse professional and personal experiences.

3) How can I reflect my International experience in my application, as whole of my team is in US and Germany, so can this be counted as International Experience?
International experience is most commonly viewed as working outside your home country for an extended period of time. Working on a team comprised of international members is notable, but might not be viewed as "international experience" by some schools.

5) Does my inclination on working in Asia pacific markets reduces the chances on selection in B-school?
6) If there are some loopholes in profile, are there any ways in which I can overcome them?

All applicants have potential weaknesses in their profiles and strengths that hopefully balance those weaknesses. You want to be sure to mitigate any weakness as best you can in your applications to show that you can handle the work, an MBA makes sense both for your career and at this time in your career, and that the program is a good match for you. Working in a particular market is not a negative; it is the trajectory of your career and quality of your experience that matters.

7) Is planning on doing 1 year MBA reducing my options?
It depends on how you look at it. There are fewer 12-15 month MBA programs than 18-24 month programs. So, in the grand scheme one could say you are reducing your options, but what options are truly yours is based on factors specific to you. Why you decided to focus on 1 year programs might be part of those factors -- important criteria in your determination of what programs are matches for you.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me