A recent review of pay scales....PLZ help me reason this....

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO's who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

OA IS C
Cheers,
CKA

Plz press the "Thank" button if this was useful to you

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by mirantdon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:14 pm
Source and explanation please ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:33 pm
I wonder, like you do, mirantdon, about the source of this one, if only because there shouldn't be an apostrophe in "CEO's" (that makes CEO possessive). So this doesn't appear to be authentic...

While it's here, though, there are still a few things we can learn from it, though. If you look at the differences between the sentences to find good Decision Points, the major differences I see are:

1) The first difference is whether you'd put "on average" in commas as a modifier before "CEOs" (in B and C) or where it is in the original. Seeing that difference shows me a slight meaning difference; do CEOs really earn "an average of 419 times..."? Or is it that, on average, the difference in pay is 419 times? At least in direct comparison, the meaning in B and C seems more logical...

2) At the ends of each answer choice we have a huge difference; we can use either "a ratio of 42 times in 1980" or "...42 times their pay, the ratio in 1980". Again, I think the direct comparison helps quite a bit - the meaning in A, B, and E is flawed as to appropriately express a ratio relationship you have to have a basis point: 42 times WHAT?

For example, if I said "my salary has increased 42 times since 2005", that just means that it's gone up on 42 separate occasions. But I don't know the end result - it could have gone up a penny each time and not be all that impressive today. To say that I'm making a fortune right now (sadly, I'm not) I'd have to say "my salary has increased to 42 times what it was in 2005". To effectively make this mathematical relationship we have to have the 42 times "a number", and only C and D effectively do that.

3) Between C and D...the "who" in D sets up a modifier so that "...who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers" becomes a description of CEOs. The problem there? Now "CEOs" is a subject without a verb. The word "earn" is part of a modifier, and so choice D, without a verb for its subject, is a sentence fragment and therefore incorrect.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

by vietmoi999 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:24 pm
I agree that C is best but why in C, "as compared" can modify a noun.?

I think "as compared" is a elliptical subordinate clause which must modify a main clause.

Pls, explain

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:33 am
ceeka9388 wrote:A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO's who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

OA IS C
This SC is from GMATPrep.

A, B, and E: 42 times in 1980
42 times WHAT VALUE in 1980?
Eliminate A, B and E.

D: A recent review indicates CEO's
Not the intended meaning: the review doesn't indicate the CEO'S THEMSELVES.
Rather, the review indicates an ACTION, as conveyed by the OA:
that, on average, CEO's now EARN 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.

as compared to conveys essentially the same meaning as in contrast to.
The meaning conveyed by the OA is as follows:
419 times the pay of blue-collar workers is IN CONTRAST TO 42 times their pay, the ratio in 1980.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by vietmoi999 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:32 am
"in contrast to" is used to connect a noun with another noun
in contrast to small business, big company use mass production

"as compared to" can not be used to connect a noun with another noun unless "as compared to" is a idiom. if you prove that "as compared to " is an idiom, I am wrong.

in english there is phrase " as opposed to" which is idiom which connect a noun with a noun. this idiom is explained in Oxford dictionary.

do you thing that "as compared to" is an idiom. it it is, pls show me the explanation in the dictionary.

pls, help

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 am
vietmoi999 wrote:"in contrast to" is used to connect a noun with another noun
in contrast to small business, big company use mass production

"as compared to" can not be used to connect a noun with another noun unless "as compared to" is a idiom. if you prove that "as compared to " is an idiom, I am wrong.

in english there is phrase " as opposed to" which is idiom which connect a noun with a noun. this idiom is explained in Oxford dictionary.

do you thing that "as compared to" is an idiom. it it is, pls show me the explanation in the dictionary.

pls, help
as compared to is a very common idiom.
As I mentioned in my post above, it functions much the same way as in contrast to.
Here is a dictionary reference: https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dict ... n/compared.
But our primary concern is GMAC's position on this idiom.
Since as compared to appears in the OA to an official SC, we must consider its usage here CORRECT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by vietmoi999 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:04 am
Thank you HUnt, I agree to your explanation.
I see no explanation of " as compared to" in Oxford dictionary, which dose not contain all words and phrases.

so, "as compared to" is similar to " as opposed to" . Both of them is used as conjuction which can connect two nouns. these idioms come into use after a long time of using that way which can be incorrect- this is not the point we concern.

Thank You Hunt
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England, pls email to me([email protected]) . I have some problems and need your advise. Thank a lot