Young CPA - Please Evaluate, Thanks!!

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Young CPA - Please Evaluate, Thanks!!

by CPA2011 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:59 am
My Profile: 24 years old (25 at time of admittance), Male

- Bachelor in Accounting, 3.7GPA from Marshall University (run-of-the-mill state school)

- I am currently studying for the GMAT. Judging by practice exams, my conservative score prediction is 650 up to possibly 690. I know this will significantly impact your evaluation of my profile, but I do not want to make the GMAT until I am very confident that I won't come in at my lower range (650).

- I'm a Senior Auditor at a regional accounting firm (aka, unheard of). Although my firm is small (50 professionals), it is the 4th largest in my state (WV) and I have worked with large privately held corporations in the coal and manufacturing industries, including the largest privately held coal corporation by reserves in the mid-Atlantic U.S., as well as manufacturers with operations across the Eastern U.S., China, Australia and South America. I have also worked with our largest bank client that also happens to be publicly traded.

I have all the standard auditor experience (audits as well as comps, reviews, projections) and I have also worked directly with foreign translation of Chinese subsidiary financial statements. My firm is very non-traditional, and as such, I have not been as limited in my ability to gain more responsibility simply by working hard.

I have handled entire audit engagements by myself, dealing face to face with CEO's and CFO's of mid-sized ($200-500+mm in revenue) corporations. I have also been a team member of our Business Valuation group and taken part in multiple valuations, although I do not possess the CVA or CBV certifications.

- In college, I was the Treasurer of my Beta Alpha Psi accounting fraternity. I also spoke at our regional conference competition and was awarded 2nd place, only behind NYU. During my time in BAP, I also volunteered for the United Way to prepare tax returns for low income individuals and families.

- I have no patents or publications, however, I am a Certified Public Accountant, and the youngest CPA in my firm.

- I am a recreational distance runner and have successfully completed a marathon.

- My target schools are solid 2nd tier schools, with some 1st tier schools thrown in as my long shots: Target schools are Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Penn State, Ohio State. Long shot schools are UNC and Duke.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:36 am
Dear CPA2011,

Your GMAT score will be telling on your competitiveness for your target list, but the rest of your profile is solid for your schools. If you score above your minimum 650 target, then I think you should go with your proposed reach and reasonable schools noted. With a strong application package making a compelling case for your admission, you should be able to distinguish your application from other audit/CPA applicants with the exposure you have had at a smaller firm.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by CPA2011 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 am
Thanks for the response! Is there anything you feel I should be doing over the next 12 months (aside from preparing mightily for the GMAT)? My work schedule is really pretty hectic so other than studying for the GMAT, I can't really fit much more into my days. However, if there is something glaring that I may need to address, I'm sure I could take care of it over the next 12 months.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:59 pm
You might want to address your lack of community or extracurricular activities. Perhaps you are involved in something and did not note it? Schools like to see that you have a balanced life/outside interests, so maybe find an organization to be involved with in the next year.

Good luck on your retake and applications!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me