GMAT Prep - Factors

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

GMAT Prep - Factors

by tonebeeze » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:43 pm
What is the most efficient method to solve this problem? Please jot down any logical deductions or number theory applications that you utilize. thanks!
The number 75 can be written as the sum of squares of three different positive integers. What is the sum of these three integers?

a. 17
b. 16
c. 15
d. 14
e. 13

OA = e
Our collective understanding of the GMAT grows through research, contribution, and teamwork. If you found a problem or comment challenging, helpful, or encouraging, please consider hitting the THANKS button!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 pm
I don't think there is any quicker way than testing values here, but fortunately 75 is small enough that we can arrive at an answer within two minutes. I'd start by looking at the squares closest to 75, since that will narrow down our possibilities most quickly. We know a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = 75. First we might 'guess' that a=8. In that case b^2 + c^2 must be 11, and we can quickly see that no integer combination of b and c is possible. Next we could 'guess' a = 7. In that case, b^2 + c^2 would be 26, and now we can see that 5^2 + 1^2 = 26, so our numbers can be 7, 5 and 1.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Ozlemg » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 pm
my 2 cents:

what is being asked : x^2+y^2+z^2=75, what is x+y+z?

I wrote down the integer numbers :
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (because 9 square is 81, it will be excluded!)

Then, I start to take the square of 8 which is 64, subtract it from 75 which is 11, then I try to figure out what other numbers' squares add up to 11? Only 9, 2 leaeves alone...So I start all the process starting from 7 and I got the answer :

7*7 = 49, 75- 49 : 26, 5*5 + 1*1 is 26

so answer is 7+5+1 : 13

hope this helps!
The more you suffer before the test, the less you will do so in the test! :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:121 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ashley@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:12 pm
I'd only add one thing, with the disclaimer that it barely saves time on this problem, if indeed it saves any at all... I'm just saying this because it's good practice to get in the habit of thinking about number properties as often as possible ;)

In this problem, we're summing three squares to get an odd number (75). This means there are only two possibilities: either all three of those addends are odd, or two are even and one is odd. Since all integers have the same parity (i.e. even-or-odd-ness) as their squares, we can also conclude that the breakdown among the three integers themselves is the same -- either all odd, or two even and one odd -- and in any case, those integers themselves will also have an odd sum. Of course, that only knocks out two of the answer choices given here, and as I said, I don't think it's really a time-saver on this problem -- just good practice thinking about it. But you can imagine a problem where it might be more helpful -- for instance, if GMAC had wanted to test your number properties facility and so had given some much larger odd number and provided answer choices such that only one was odd:

The number 461 can be written as the sum of squares of three different positive integers. What is the sum of these integers?

a. 30
b. 34
c. 37
d. 40
e. 44

In that case I wouldn't go looking for the integers. I'd just use the number properties trick.
Ashley Newman-Owens
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Post helpful? Mosey your cursor on over to that Thank button and click, please! I will bake you an imaginary cake.