640 to 720!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720

640 to 720!

by gmatter10 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 pm
Hi Everyone,

I am happy to share that I got 720 (q50, v37) on the GMAT. This is an improvement from my first attempt. Though I got similar practice test scores on my first and second attempts, I ended up with 640 in my first attempt. The differences between my two attempts were:
1. A good night's sleep the day before the exam
2. Additional focus on probability, overlapping sets and perm/com in quant and more SC and CR practice in verbal during my preparation
3. Change in mindset - considered the exam more a fun challenge and during the exam focused on the question in front of me rather than pondering about what may have been the right/wrong answer in the previous question)

While I have not been an active participant, I have learnt a lot from posts on BTG. A big thank you to the community, especially to the users who have provided briefs in the "I just beat the gmat" section!! The briefs helped maintain the tempo for my preparation and convinced me even more that my target score was within reach.

As for my GMATprep scores:
4 weeks ago: 720 (q49, v40)
3 weeks ago: 720 (q50, v38)

I chose not to take additional tests in the last two weeks and focused on reinforcing my fundamentals through practice(GMAT SETs helped here). This seems to have paid off because my timing during the exam improved - I finished the quant section 12 minutes to spare, which is my best timing in quant, and I had adequate time for the last 3-4 questions in the verbal section which was not the case in the testpreps.

Again, thanks to BTG and wish all future test takers the best - You can beat the GMAT!:)

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:24 pm
Hi,

Great. Congrats.

Could you pls elaborate on what are GMAT SETs and how you prepared for CR.

Best wishes.

regards,
Patanjali

by krpgmat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Hi,

Congrats!

Can you please let us know what your verbal scaled score was in first attempt?

Cheers

GMAT Score:720

by gmatter10 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 pm
Hi,

My gmat score in the first attempt was 640(q49 v 31), though in my test preps I scored above 700.

For CR I referred the powerscore. Its a good book to understand the different types of questions and gives some useful strategies for solving the CR questions.

The gmat sets are gmat test prep questions. The questions are available online but you will have to search for the solutions in forums like BTG and gmatclub and for some you may not have a sure answer. But it is a good resource once you have completed the OG and have completed the gmat prep tests.

by varunjaswal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:52 am
Hi gmatter10,

There are lot of similarities we have. I scored a meager 660 (48Q, 33V) in my first attempt. I scored more than 700 in all my practice tests (GMATPrep, MGMAT, PowerPrep).
I am planning to retake the test in couple of months time and hope to score as much as you did. I feel really encouraged after knowing i am not alone and there are people who have done it in their second attempt.

Thanks,
Varun Jaswal

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ikaplan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 am
Great score. Good luck with your applications!
"Commitment is more than just wishing for the right conditions. Commitment is working with what you have."