knewton prep-- please reply fast

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

knewton prep-- please reply fast

by atulmangal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am
In 1839, experiments with hydrogen and water performed by Sir William Grove led to the development of fuel cells, and though the use of these cells was originally considered overly costly, today the fuel cell, which can efficiently power everything from large generating plants and NASA rockets to small portable communication devices, seems to have become a popular and promising source of power.

(A) large generating plants and NASA rockets to small portable communication devices, seems to have

(B) large generating plants, NASA rockets, and small portable communication devices, seems having

(C) large generating plants, NASA rockets, and small portable communication devices, seems that it has

(D) large generating plants and NASA rockets to small portable communication devices, seems that it has

(E) large generating plants and NASA rockets as well as small portable communication devices, seems to have

The OA given is Op A, i have one doubt, see below

In 1839, experiments with hydrogen and water performed by Sir William Grove led to the development of fuel cells, and though the use of these cells was originally considered overly costly, today the fuel cell, which can efficiently power everything from large generating plants and NASA rockets to small portable communication devices, seems to have become a popular and promising source of power.

The green i believe is the subject of the verb as indicated in red color..."fuel cell" is singular, is the use of "have become" is correct or m missing something????

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:13 am
The green i believe is the subject of the verb as indicated in red color..."fuel cell" is singular, is the use of "have become" is correct or m missing something????
Hi,
fuel cell seems to have become a popular and promising source of power.
It is correct. If 'to have' is the main verb, then it is incorrect.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 am
Hi Atul,
I just came for Lunch from office , but keeping urgency in mind, I am replying now :)

in option A "seems" already agrees with subject "the fuel cell" , so you need not have to worry about the "have" because "to have" is used in order to emphasis on possession.As the main part/verb of the sentence "today the fuel cell, which......source power." does not have (another example :) ) any other sentence/verb to be parallel with, "seems" is the only main verb to be used.(one subject-->one verb)
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:21 am
Frankenstein wrote:
Hi,
see this is what confusing me...if applying my ear the above sentence seems correct...but exactly what role "have become" is playing in the above sentence in terms of parts of speech. More specifically If "seems" is only verb then what is HAVE BECOME is it just an infinitive and should be read as "to have become" ????

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:25 am
smackmartine wrote:Hi Atul,
I just came for Lunch from office , but keeping urgency in mind, I am replying now :)

in option A "seems" already agrees with subject "the fuel cell" , so you need not have to worry about the "have" because "to have" is used in order to emphasis on possession.As the main part/verb of the sentence "today the fuel cell, which......source power." does not have (another example :) ) any other sentence/verb to be parallel with, "seems" is the only main verb to be used.(one subject-->one verb)
completely agree brother, just wanted to understand the actual role of "have become" in terms of parts of speech....if u can categorize...

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:32 am
ohhhh....my bad...its just an infinitive...

SEEM always followed by an infinitive idiomatically so to have is just an infinitive here...

seems like m getting crazy on the day before exam unnecessarily...so no study now....thanks guys for your prompt reply!!!

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:36 am
atulmangal wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:
Hi,
see this is what confusing me...if applying my ear the above sentence seems correct...but exactly what role "have become" is playing in the above sentence in terms of parts of speech. More specifically If "seems" is only verb then what is HAVE BECOME is it just an infinitive and should be read as "to have become" ????
Okay.. I think 'seems to have become' is a verb phrase where seems is the main verb followed by auxiliary( have+ participle form) in perfect tense.
Cheers!

Legendary Member

by smackmartine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:38 am
Frankenstein wrote: Okay.. I think 'seems to have become' is a verb phrase where seems is the main verb followed by auxiliary( have+ participle form) in perfect tense.
I second that.
Smack is Back ...
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Legendary Member

by Frankenstein » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:44 am
atulmangal wrote:ohhhh....my bad...its just an infinitive...

SEEM always followed by an infinitive idiomatically so to have is just an infinitive here...

seems like m getting crazy on the day before exam unnecessarily...so no study now....thanks guys for your prompt reply!!!
Hi,
You should really relax now. So, I don't wanna add more details but I will add just one thing from my observation. seem is not always followed by infinitive although most of the usage is 'seem to +'. seem can be followed by 'like', sometimes it doesn't need to be followed by 'to', 'like' also. Don't dig too much into grammar now. Just go with logic.
Good Luck!
Cheers!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by cyrwr1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:53 am
The first half is fluff. Keep Today the fuel cell,.....

from (must contain a "to"), A and D remain

and seems to have is the better option.

Legendary Member

by smackmartine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:53 pm
atulmangal wrote:ohhhh....my bad...its just an infinitive...

Chillax dude! Keep the books aside and try to see a nice movie, cook, talk to your girlfriend (no fights though lol) or excercise, and finally , be positive and just imagine whatever score you want !!! All the best. Hope to see your exciting debrief tomorrow.
Smack is Back ...

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:37 pm
Best of Luck Atul.... wish you get the desired score :)
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)