Is scoring 700+ in one attempt better than in 4 attempts?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:13 members
I am new to this forum, I need some authentic information through this forum.

Since I started preparation for GMAT, I have given GMAT two times. In first attempt I scored 540 then in next improved to 680. Now I am going for another attempt and aiming for 710.

Then I came to know from the admission counselor of world's most renowned GMAT training Institute that if you score 700+ in 3 to 4 attempts then there is no use of this. Although any such thing is not written on any of the FAQs of any of the top B schools.

Please let know whether this is true or not? Pls let me also know source of this information.

Thanks in Advance,
Djhamb

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Kelly McDonald » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:05 am
I would say it depends on the school. Some schools take your highest score, others take an average. Others will look at your test taking history and use it to make judgments about the kind of person you are.

I would ask the schools you're looking to apply to and see what their policy is.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by parore26 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 am
Is there any particular reason why you need to score a 710? In most cases 680 is a good enough score and the fact that you showed a 140 point jump is a great achievement and one that schools will look at very favourably. I've heard from various sources that attempting multiple times to score a 700 looks vain to admissions committees as Kelly pointed out in the previous post.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat May 03, 2008 7:20 pm
Hi Djhamb,

I agree with the previous posters. I dont think you should focus on achieve the 710 score when you have already scored 680. If you think you can do much better than a few more points (say 730+), then you could retake the test. But I wouldn't.

I believe (in my opinion) that AdCom look down on applicants who have taken the GMAT more than 3 times, unless there is a significant discrepancy in scores or you have a valid excuse (i.e. you got food poisoning every time you took the test... in that case, sounds like you have bigger issues!!).

Instead, use the time to focus on your essays.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep