combinatorics and probability

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

combinatorics and probability

by magicalhat » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:24 am
how important are these topics for someone aiming for a 650 - 700? i've heard that they don't appear that much, but i really don't know... what has been the experience of the gmat experts?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:10 am
magicalhat wrote:how important are these topics for someone aiming for a 650 - 700? i've heard that they don't appear that much, but i really don't know... what has been the experience of the gmat experts?
my friend whatever u have heard is all wrong , these are very important topics if u are aiming for 650-700
Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 pm
I had exactly one question on probability and counting on my last real GMAT, and it was a completely standard question. There is a myth that probability and counting is somehow more heavily tested at the higher level of the GMAT. It's not; probability and counting questions can be easy, or they can be hard, and they're no more likely to appear at the 700-level than at the 400-level. On occasion, people encounter several questions on the topic, but that is unusual. You certainly want to know the basic principles of counting and probability so you aren't in danger of answering an easy question incorrectly on the test, but I think many test takers devote far too much time to studying highly specialized counting situations that are extremely unlikely to appear on the GMAT and too little time to studying the topics that are absolutely guaranteed to show up many times on test day: ratios and percentages, divisibility, inequalities, etc.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com