Q - 50/93%ile V - 42/95%ile 760 overall 99th percentile

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
This is the first time I have taken this test. I read about many people who spent hundreds of hours studying for this. I only spent a few weeks.

Here are the materials I used:
Step 1: GMAT for Dummies - This is a great starter book. Quick read and gives you a basic idea of what to expect.
Step 2: The Official GMAT Guide - This one is the best for the Data Sufficiency Questions.
Step 3: Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides - There are eight of them, ranging from 150 to 300 pages each. These will take a significant amount of time to complete, but are by far the best resources to actually learn all of the information without going over it excessively. Each guide also has an "advanced" section. If you plan on getting a 760, you need to complete this section too.
Step 4: Take the free timed practice tests from mba.com. I only completed one of them, but I recommend doing both. I had a schedule conflict and didn't have enough time, but I would've if I had the time. Make sure you do the writing assessments on the practice exam too! This will help you get a feel for how the real test is and how your brain will feel after the writing assessments on the real exam.

This is all I did to get a 760! It took me about three to four weeks, working every single day. Good luck!

Also, I am looking for scholarships that are offered to people with GMAT scores in the 99th percentile. Does anyone know of any?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:14 am
That is an excellent score! I am not sure there are scholarships based purely on GMAT scores. However once you are admitted a GMAT score goes a long way in helping you get one!

I had 2 questions about your prep:

1. What was your score on the GMATPrep that you took?

2. Did you find the quant to be more difficult than the questions you had solved earlier?

Arun
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sandeep1306 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:41 pm
gtg434x wrote:This is the first time I have taken this test. I read about many people who spent hundreds of hours studying for this. I only spent a few weeks.

Here are the materials I used:
Step 1: GMAT for Dummies - This is a great starter book. Quick read and gives you a basic idea of what to expect.
Step 2: The Official GMAT Guide - This one is the best for the Data Sufficiency Questions.
Step 3: Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides - There are eight of them, ranging from 150 to 300 pages each. These will take a significant amount of time to complete, but are by far the best resources to actually learn all of the information without going over it excessively. Each guide also has an "advanced" section. If you plan on getting a 760, you need to complete this section too.
Step 4: Take the free timed practice tests from mba.com. I only completed one of them, but I recommend doing both. I had a schedule conflict and didn't have enough time, but I would've if I had the time. Make sure you do the writing assessments on the practice exam too! This will help you get a feel for how the real test is and how your brain will feel after the writing assessments on the real exam.

This is all I did to get a 760! It took me about three to four weeks, working every single day. Good luck!

Also, I am looking for scholarships that are offered to people with GMAT scores in the 99th percentile. Does anyone know of any?
Hi gtg434x
congratulations for an awesome score.

could you please elaborate on your strategy for the benefit of the community.

Thanks
Sandeep
Thanks,
Sandeep