official SC : Coordinating conjuction

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

official SC : Coordinating conjuction

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:43 am
According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but was more likely to begin as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication, and only later merged with spoken language.
(A) was more likely to begin as
(B) more than likely began as
(C) more than likely beginning from
(D) it was more than likely begun from
(E) it was more likely that it began

OA is B and I agree . The explanation for answer choices D and E are as follows :

D Use of the pronoun it makes this construction a main cluase, in which case the comma after communication must be omitted and began must be used to be parallel to merged; was...begun is not he correct tense.

E In this awkward, unclear, and wordy construction, the first it must be followed by is, not was, because the theory is current; the second it acts as the subject of the subordinate clause, and this usage requires the omission of the comma after communication.

My question : The usage of comma : When connecting two independt clauses, we do use comma and if subject is same , we do not use the comma.

Following the same reasoning , comma should not have been there in the correct answer choice even ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:07 am
I am unable to understand your question. Can you give some examples to illustrate you doubt?
scio me nihil scire

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:28 am

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:00 pm
Thanks .

Source : OG 12 Diagnostic Test Q # 39 Page # 95 ;

To rephrase question correctly, I want to understand the usage of two commas used in correct and incorrect answer choices .

Rule 1. "Place a comma before and or but introducing an independent clause" (From : The Elements of Style)
Rule 2 . "Do not join independent clauses by a comma" (From : The Elements of Style)
Rule 3 : "Do not use a comma before and to separate two verbs that have the same subject" (Manhattan 4th Edition ; Page 190)
In view of these three rules, I do not see the correct answer properly follows the comma rul . Of course, I am missing something here :( .

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:03 pm
of course these above rules are applicable to FANBOYS coordinating conjunction.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:36 pm
Thanks for posting the source and clarifying your question.

First of all I would like to state that Choice B is the correct answer without any doubt. And I am glad that you agree with that :)

Rephrasing your question, I think you are questioning the use of commas with 'and' & 'but' in this sentence. The list in this sentence is as shown:

Subject Verb 1
, but verb 2
, and verb3

Now the above structure makes complete sense. The author intends to show a contrast between two of the three verbs and he can show this contrast using "but". Consider a similar sentence:

Version 1 = Mary went to the play in the park, but hurt her ankle, and went back to her home.
Version 2 = Mary went to the park, hurt her ankle, and went back to her home.

I agree that Version 2 follows the punctuation rules perfectly. But it does not communicate the contrast between the two verbs as does Version 1.

So the context of the sentence is such that it requires use of a 'contrast' word - but which happens to be a coordinating conjunction with strict rules.

Now lets consider the incorrect choice D
The sentence structure is as follows with this choice:

1: Writing was not direct rendering of speech
2: , but it
i) was more than likely begun from...
ii), and later merged

This is incorrect because now "merged" is no longer the 3rd verb for writing. It is the 2nd verb for 'it' and hence should not have a comma prior to and since the list only has two elements.

Choice E has similar error.

I hope I have addressed your doubts. Please let me know if this makes sense. I will be happy to address any other queries that you may have on this topic.

Regards,

Payal

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:19 am
@Payal eGMAT ; thank you for clear explanation . I missed that it is a list .

Really great explanation .

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:42 am
e-GMAT wrote:Thanks for posting the source and clarifying your question.

First of all I would like to state that Choice B is the correct answer without any doubt. And I am glad that you agree with that :)

Rephrasing your question, I think you are questioning the use of commas with 'and' & 'but' in this sentence. The list in this sentence is as shown:

Subject Verb 1
, but verb 2
, and verb3

Now the above structure makes complete sense. The author intends to show a contrast between two of the three verbs and he can show this contrast using "but". Consider a similar sentence:

Version 1 = Mary went to the play in the park, but hurt her ankle, and went back to her home.
Version 2 = Mary went to the park, hurt her ankle, and went back to her home.

I agree that Version 2 follows the punctuation rules perfectly. But it does not communicate the contrast between the two verbs as does Version 1.

So the context of the sentence is such that it requires use of a 'contrast' word - but which happens to be a coordinating conjunction with strict rules.

Now lets consider the incorrect choice D
The sentence structure is as follows with this choice:

1: Writing was not direct rendering of speech
2: , but it
i) was more than likely begun from...
ii), and later merged

This is incorrect because now "merged" is no longer the 3rd verb for writing. It is the 2nd verb for 'it' and hence should not have a comma prior to and since the list only has two elements.

Choice E has similar error.

I hope I have addressed your doubts. Please let me know if this makes sense. I will be happy to address any other queries that you may have on this topic.

Regards,

Payal
But Hasnt the OG ruled that a comma will not be considered a deciding factor on the GMAT
Also refer to OG Diagnostic 46
Researchers have found that individuals who have
been blind from birth, and who thus have never seen
anyone gesture
, nevertheless make hand motions
when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the
same way as sighted people do, and that they will
gesture
even when conversing with another blind
person.
(A) who thus have never seen anyone gesture,
nevertheless make hand motions when speaking
just as frequently and in virtually the same way
as sighted people do, and that they will gesture
OA A

Please notice that the Bolded Portion contains 2 phrases seperated by a comma + and
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:58 am
@mundasingh: it is "it" and not "comma" that is creating the problem by changing the structure of sense. So we can say that "it" is main culprit in wrong choices D & E
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 am
vikram4689 wrote:@mundasingh: it is "it" and not "comma" that is creating the problem by changing the structure of sense. So we can say that "it" is main culprit in wrong choices D & E
Did You read Egmat's reply . She and the OG both say that comma is a problem as well .
it refers to the subject of the preceding clause

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:13 am
I think i was not able to make my point clear, anyways i will do it again. The comma problem arises when "it" is present because presence of "it" creates a new clause and then ",and" becomes incorrect. When "it" is NOT present then sentence has one clause and is perfectly fine. THat is why i said "it" is MAIN culprit because when it is not there the sentence is correct though "," is still there.

I hope this helps.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:17 am
vikram4689 wrote:I think i was not able to make my point clear, anyways i will do it again. The comma problem arises when "it" is present because presence of "it" creates a new clause and then ",and" becomes incorrect. When "it" is NOT present then sentence has one clause and is perfectly fine. THat is why i said "it" is MAIN culprit because when it is not there the sentence is correct though "," is still there.

I hope this helps.
So if I remove the comma before the "and" but Leave the rest of sentence as it is , will the sentence be correct or not ?

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:04 am
Yes,I the sentence would be correct BUT to keep the meaning intact you need to change tense a little bit (compared to that present in D & E). I have formed a sentence below and posted the correct sentence so that meaning can be analyzed:
Correct sentence : According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication, and only later merged with spoken language.

Sentence with "IT" : According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but it more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication and only later merged with spoken language.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:11 am
vikram4689 wrote:Yes,I the sentence would be correct BUT to keep the meaning intact you need to change tense a little bit (compared to that present in D & E). I have formed a sentence below and posted the correct sentence so that meaning can be analyzed:
Correct sentence : According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication, and only later merged with spoken language.

Sentence with "IT" : According to scholars, the earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but it more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication and only later merged with spoken language.
IMO In The second sentence the "it ... " clause following the but doesnt seems to be according to scholars.Good One

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:37 am
WHY C IS WRONG, PLEASE, HELP