Teenagers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Teenagers

by Ozlemg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:27 am
Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the government-mandated minimum-wage level because employers cannot afford to pay that much for extra help. Therefore, if Congress institutes a subminimum wage, a new lower legal wage for teenagers, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

A Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen when the minimum wage has risen.
B Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant.
C Employers often hire extra help during holiday and warm weather seasons.
D The teenage unemployment rate rose more quickly in the 1970's than it did in the 1960's.
E The teenage unemployment rate has occasionally declined in the years since 1960.

OA : B
Last edited by Ozlemg on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more you suffer before the test, the less you will do so in the test! :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:32 am
none of the options seem appropriate
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 am
B

Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the government-mandated minimum-wage level because employers cannot afford to pay that much for extra help. Therefore, if Congress institutes a subminimum wage, a new lower legal wage for teenagers, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

A Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen when the minimum wage has risen. - Strenghtens
B Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant.
C Employers often hire extra help during holiday and warm weather seasons. seasonal employement out of scope
D The teenage unemployment rate rose more quickly in the 1970's than it did in the 1960's. - comparison out of scope.
E The teenage unemployment rate has occasionally declined in the years since 1960. irrelevant due to standalone rise in unemployment rates.
Regards,

Pranay

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by akshatmikku » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:19 pm
The only way B could be the answer , is if it proves that no relation exists b/w wage rate and unemployment rate. B tries to do exactly that , however it misses to establish this reasoning in the case where there would be a wage cut . Hence , as far as I can see , the question is flawed .
Rest of the options do not make sense .

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:760

by rkanthilal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:33 pm
akshatmikku wrote:The only way B could be the answer , is if it proves that no relation exists b/w wage rate and unemployment rate. B tries to do exactly that , however it misses to establish this reasoning in the case where there would be a wage cut . Hence , as far as I can see , the question is flawed .
Rest of the options do not make sense .
I think B is good enough in this question. The question stem asks for the answer choice that most weakens the argument. You don't have to destroy the argument. You just have to weaken it.

Conclusion: "If Congress institutes a subminimum wage, a new lower legal wage for teenagers, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase."

The conclusion states that if Congress lowers the minimum wage then the teenage unemployment rate will no longer increase. This is a strong conclusion. If X happens then Y will happen. If Congress lowers the minimum wage then the unemployment rate will no longer increase.

To weaken this conclusion we need an answer choice that demonstrates that this relationship between the minimum wage and the teenage unemployment rate may not hold. Answer choice B does this.

(B) "Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant."

This answer implies that there are factors affecting the teenage unemployment rate other than the minimum wage. This is sufficient to weaken the conclusion. If (B) is true then it is possible that the teenage unemployment rate may rise even if Congress lowers the minimum wage.

Hope this helps...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Calvin123 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 am
+1 for B

My opinion about this question is same as what bubbliiiiiiii's & rkanthilal's.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by akshatmikku » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:58 am
Well from the stated options B is the clear winner there is no doubt about that ; the thing about GMAT questions is that they are very " clean" you won't see such a logical gap , unlike the case in this question .
( Try pointing out a question for OG-12 /Gmat prep where you can destroy the argument ) .
My opinion was for people who were struggling to find an answer because of lack of viable choices.