Please help me answer this!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Please help me answer this!!!!!!!!!!

by ceeka9388 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(A)More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
B. With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.
C. Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.
D. While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
E. More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.

I have chose E.....let me know if you differ
Cheers,
CKA

Plz press the "Thank" button if this was useful to you

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:121 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ashley@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:00 pm
I'd say there's a problem with E. Notice how it starts: "More than all the North American Great Lakes combined,..." and then follows immediately with "Siberia's Lake Baikal..." To test whether a setup like that is legitimate, ask yourself whether that initial lead-in ("more than all ... combined") directly modifies that first subject that shows up right after the comma ("Siberia's Lake Baikal"). Could you say "Siberia's Lake Baikal IS more than all the North American Great Lakes combined"? If no, that answer choice won't work. :)

[If that's not clear, imagine that the sentence started with "The biggest lake ever, Siberia's Lake Baikal..." In that case, I could run the same check: Could I say "Siberia's Lake Baikal is the biggest lake ever"? Yes, I could, so that would be a legitimate setup.]
Ashley Newman-Owens
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Post helpful? Mosey your cursor on over to that Thank button and click, please! I will bake you an imaginary cake.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ceeka9388 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:06 pm
Is the answer 'A'..then could you plz explain .............
Cheers,
CKA

Plz press the "Thank" button if this was useful to you

GMAT Instructor

by Ashley@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:15 pm
Yep, [spoiler](A)[/spoiler] seems like the best option to me. All of the parts of that version of the sentence are i their proper places. The "which" refers directly to Siberia's Lake Baikal (we can test this by forming a short sentence that omits that "which" -- Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water. Works just fine). And then the final phrase -- "more than all ... combined" -- is an appositive for "20 percent of the world's freshwater"; in other words, that last phrase tells us that "the fresh water content of Lake Baikal IS greater than the fresh water content of all of the N.A. Great Lakes combined."
Ashley Newman-Owens
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Post helpful? Mosey your cursor on over to that Thank button and click, please! I will bake you an imaginary cake.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jkati » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 pm
sorry to say but i am not ok with option A i am thinking that ans C is far better than any other options , Would you please tell what is wrong in option C

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 pm
jkati wrote:sorry to say but i am not ok with option A i am thinking that ans C is far better than any other options , Would you please tell what is wrong in option C
Hi,
C has errors.
Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.
Can you post why you think A is not OK so that we can discuss.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jkati » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 pm
actually i was thinking that there was a problem of misplaced modifier,

GMAT Instructor

by Ashley@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:33 am
jkati wrote:actually i was thinking that there was a problem of misplaced modifier,
Always a good idea indeed to check for those misplaced modifiers, but (A) passes that test just fine.

We've got
"More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined."

So "which holds..." is modifying Lake Baikal, and "more than all..." is modifying "20 percent of the world's fresh water."

Everything's in its proper place :)
Ashley Newman-Owens
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by voodoo_child » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:17 pm
Ashley@VeritasPrep wrote:
jkati wrote:actually i was thinking that there was a problem of misplaced modifier,
Always a good idea indeed to check for those misplaced modifiers, but (A) passes that test just fine.

We've got
"More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined."

So "which holds..." is modifying Lake Baikal, and "more than all..." is modifying "20 percent of the world's fresh water."

Everything's in its proper place :)
I think that "more than" modifies because it is separated by a comma. If there would have been a verb, the situation would be different. Correct ?

X, more than Y, knows how to do the math.

X is more pricey than Y.

Please correct me if i am wrong!

Thanks

Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:57 pm
I have a confusion with D
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Followed by:1 members

by voodoo_child » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:28 pm
sivaelectric wrote:I have a confusion with D
2 things -
While is used for two simulataneous events...

e.g. While I was watching the TV, my girlfriend arrived....
In this sense, D is nonsensical.

Second use is to indicate Contrast. While I planned to eat Pork, Sara, my friend, rejected it.
D) Doesnt make sense in either of the two situations....

Makes sense ? :)