TOEFL- after submitting app or now ?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

TOEFL- after submitting app or now ?

by singhsa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:37 pm
I plan to apply for fall 2012. I've given my GMAT but am yet to prepare for TOEFL. Is it possible for me to give TOEFL after submitting my applications? Do Universities grant you a conditional offer if you haven't given your TOEFL ibt before the submission of your application?
To be specific, I will submit my application by November 2011. So, can I give my TOEFL in december/Jan?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:32 am
Give it now. It is a simple test!
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:06 am
To add on to what I was trying to say (I hit the submit too early :P), most schools wont consider the application without a TOEFL. So why create a situation for you.

Also, TOEFL results will take time before they are sent to schools.

You can avoid all this by just finishing it off.

If you give TOEFL in Dec/Jan, even if they give you conditional offer, things will get delayed unnecessarily.

Since you have finished your GMAT and apps don open for a few months, why dont u take it now?
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by singhsa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 pm
Hmm...makes sense.

Thanks for the help.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:07 am
Agree with what vineeshp says, and to be even more explicit:

If the applicant is required to take the TOEFL (not all applicants are, obviously), then most schools will not even look at the application at all until the TOEFL is submitted. There's no such thing as a conditional offer in this case; the app would be considered incomplete and they won't bother with it until the test results are submitted. If the test results come in after a round deadline, most schools will push the app to the subsequent round.

So yes, just like vineeshp said: "You can avoid all this by just finishing it off." If you did well on the verbal GMAT/AWA, then you'll likely do just fine on the TOEFL.

Good luck with it!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!