Got Beat by the GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Got Beat by the GMAT

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:41 am
Hey All

Took the GMAT on Saturday and scored a 500. The math section killed me. I did horrible. I did pretty well on verbal but couldnt make up for the terrible math score. I took a class and studied my a$$ off for the last 3 months. What should my next step be? I plan on taking it again in 2 months (im taking the rest of this month off to relax and regroup). Any study plans? Please help.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:56 am
How much did you score in Quants and Verbal section actually?
You need to practice a lot of Quant questions. Go through OG12 once again.
Refer MGMAT Quant books.
Also analyze which areas in maths need work. Go through BTG forums and check all the questions and their possible solutions and the shortcuts....
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jk2010 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:36 pm
Acatlaw55 -

Assuming that you took a few practice CATS, I suggest you go back over all of your Quant questions and review what your main weaknesses were. Don't just look at the correct answers and say "Oh...I see," go back and look at each answer choice and explain WHY it is right or wrong. You have to MASTER the basics. With the short turn around time for retaking the GMAT, I recommend the BTG 60 Day study guide. https://mastergmat.com/ also is a very good resource for getting the basic skills down. Don't forget to throw in some Verbal to keep your skills sharp.

I hate to be a downer, but I think some expectation management is in order. If you don't start studying again until July and plan to retest in August, you may not get the score you are hoping for. Mastery comes from repetition. If you are set on that plan, I suggest taking at least 30 minutes per day to stay in touch with perishable math skills.

Best of luck!