GMAT SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

GMAT SC

by abhi75 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:41 am
Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the balloon procedure by itself.

A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is
C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than
D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than
E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is

by gmatinjuly » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:35 am
abhi I think correct answer is C

Idiom should be preceded by
A/d gets eliminated.

Researchers agreed that ....... but ...that .....
so that should eb there..

Eliminates B

Determining is not correct so E is eliminated

Answer is C

what is OA ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:17 am
gmatinjuly wrote:abhi I think correct answer is C

A/d gets eliminated.

Eliminates B

Answer is C

what is OA ?
ick, i don't like this problem. what is the source?

i agree that (c) is the only one that gets both 'to determine' and 'preceded by' correct.
however,
you DO need the second 'that' if both parts are things agreed upon by the researchers.
here's why:
in choices (a), (b), and (c) - the ones WITHOUT the second 'that' - there's an ambiguity. viz., there are 2 possible interpretations:
(1) researchers agreed that the study ... , and they also agreed that more research...
(2) researchers agreed that the study ... , and it is a fact that more research ...
we need the second 'that' to resolve this ambiguity.
not sure what source this question is from, but apparently it's not the world's greatest source.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by abhi75 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:05 am
Yes the OA is C. The problem is from SC document from testmagic fourums.
Thanks.
-A

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rdxb » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:07 pm
lunarpower wrote:

A/d gets eliminated.

Eliminates B

Answer is C

what is OA ?

i agree that (c) is the only one that gets both 'to determine' and 'preceded by' correct.
however,
you DO need the second 'that' if both parts are things agreed upon by the researchers.
here's why:
in choices (a), (b), and (c) - the ones WITHOUT the second 'that' - there's an ambiguity. viz., there are 2 possible interpretations:
(1) researchers agreed that the study ... , and they also agreed that more research...
(2) researchers agreed that the study ... , and it is a fact that more research ...
not sure what source this question is from, but apparently it's not the world's greatest source.
If I see correctly , there is a second "that" in Option C....
Keeping in mind the second "that" in option C, its fine to choose C, but the tense after ultrasound> is/was/would be> which should be preferred..... m just asking for my knowledge bank

Also, Let me know If I'm missing something here... :wink:

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:21 pm
"more research is needed to determine x is better or not" sounds logical
whereas

"more research is needed to determine x was better or not" is wrong.
"more research is needed to determine x would be better or not" is wrong here. Had it been related to invention of some new machine etc than "would be" would have been a better choice.

Also Remember,
In gmat land, you use would mainly in conditional clauses.

One more query inline with rdxb's
Won't it be better to say

"that more research is needed to determine" [Please leave the rule of parallelism for the time being :)]

by lilu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:43 am
lunarpower wrote:
Actually, I just got this question in the GMATPrep test. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:58 am
lunarpower wrote:

A/d gets eliminated.

Eliminates B

Answer is C

what is OA ?

however,
here's why:

Ron, this question is from GPREP
anyways... some thoughts.

dont u think we must use THAN "IS" ( I know.. whether or not is not correct on GMAT..)

1. In case of comparison, we should bear in mind that two nouns or clauses are compared. If two clauses are compared, every clause must have subject and verb.
Example:

He is longer than Rana (is).
=> He is longer than is Rana.

Now, we can easily eliminate the options A, C, and D as they have not used verb, IS. Now, we are between B and E. In E, but that is not correct and "is or is not" is awkward. Whether or not is correct idiom.

Answer: B

Secondly,

Lets say we also have choice F

F. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded
by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than IS

basically

X is any better than Y

or

X is any better than is Y

or

X is any better than Y is

which one is correct...

Please help...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:16 am
received a PM asking me to reply.

You can write many comparisons either way - as nouns or as clauses.

Nouns:
She is taller than her sister.
SHE <is taller than> HER SISTER

Clauses:
She is taller than her sister is.
(though the above usage is a bit awkward - because you can just compare nouns, you might as well - it's cleaner)

So you don't have to repeat the verb the second time, but you can. (In this particular type of structure - obviously, if the structure changes, then things could change!)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mayank.hwr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm
Hey Ron and Stacey ,

However one more Split Between WAS/IS in all the options is present and not addressed as such like other splits.

The complete sentence and first element is in the past tense but the second element of correct option takes a Present tense verb.

Kindly put forward a reasoning figuring out why the split is irrelevant..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 pm
abhi75 wrote:Researchers agreed that the study of new treatments for heart attack patients was extremely important but more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the balloon procedure by itself.

A. more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than
B. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is
C. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than
D. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was any better for heart attack patients than
E. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is
In A, D and E, determine that does not convey the intended meaning of the sentence. Since the purpose of the research is to answer a question -- which procedure is better? -- the sentence needs to say determine whether. Eliminate A, D and E.

In B, whether or not is an error of redundancy. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:57 pm
mayank.hwr wrote:Hey Ron and Stacey ,

However one more Split Between WAS/IS in all the options is present and not addressed as such like other splits.

The complete sentence and first element is in the past tense but the second element of correct option takes a Present tense verb.

if you're talking about GENERAL TRUTHS, then you use the present tense (regardless of the tense(s) in the surrounding context).
the only exception is for things that WERE general truths, but are no longer. in that case, of course, you'd use the past tense. (or, for things that WILL BE general truths but aren't yet, you should use the future tense.)
e.g.
in 1628, william harvey discovered that human blood circulates through the arteries and veins.
CORRECT
"discovered" --> past tense (since this happened in 1628)
"circulates" --> present tense (since this is a GENERAL TRUTH)

in 1628, william harvey discovered that human blood circulated through the arteries and veins.
INCORRECT
this implies that blood doesn't circulate anymore in today's humans.

--

in this case, the principle in question (whether X is better than Y) is a general truth that isn't subject to a timeframe. therefore, it should be in the present tense.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 pm
lunarpower wrote:

if you're talking about GENERAL TRUTHS, then you use the present tense (regardless of the tense(s) in the surrounding context).
the only exception is for things that WERE general truths, but are no longer. in that case, of course, you'd use the past tense. (or, for things that WILL BE general truths but aren't yet, you should use the future tense.)
e.g.
in 1628, william harvey discovered that human blood circulates through the arteries and veins.
CORRECT

in 1628, william harvey discovered that human blood circulated through the arteries and veins.
INCORRECT

--

in this case, the principle in question (whether X is better than Y) is a general truth that isn't subject to a timeframe. therefore, it should be in the present tense.
Thank you so much Ron for this post, your examples clear my confusion.

by nafiul9090 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 am
lunarpower wrote:

e.g.
CORRECT

INCORRECT

--

hello

i am stuck between past and present tense

now its clear...

regards nafi

by nafiul9090 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:26 am
lunarpower wrote:

e.g.
CORRECT

INCORRECT

--

hello

i was stuck between past and present tense

now its clear...

regards nafi