INSEAD Profile Evaluation Request R2/Jan 2012

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I would really appreciate if I can get an eval / feedback of my profile and chances for admission into INSEAD MBA program R2/Jan 2012 (Singapore campus preferred).

Indian / M / 30

1. GMAT 640 (Q43, V35)

2. Academics:
- Bachelors Degree in Comp Science (India) 74%
- Masters Degree in Comp Sci and Engg (Carnegie Mellon University) 3.3 GPA (few courses taken from Tepper school of business as well)
- Teaching Assistant (Math - Undergraduate Class)
- Teaching Assistant (Distributed Systems - Graduate Class)

3. Work Experience (7 Years at the time of applying)
- After graduating from CMU with Masters degree have worked in Technology Security Consulting. Went thru 2 acquisitions and currently part of a Fortune 100 company.
- Current Position: Regional Director of Consulting (part of consulting leadership team)
- Career has been in Hyper-drive since I started working. In 6 years I went from being a Consultant to a Regional Director (4 promotions in 6 yrs) in the US. Have had >100% compensation increase in 6 years.
- Currently have a team of 6 people I supervise
- Have received accolades like Club Excellence in 2007 (top 2% of outstanding contributors in the company) and multiple consultant of the month awards.

4. International Experience:
- Worked in the US for 7 years
- Worked on projects with International clients - All of Europe, Asia, LTAM
- Have supervised people in India office
- Traveled to quite a few international destinations (personal)

5. Extracurricular Activities
- 2009 - 2011 President, Home Owners Association of Condominium Complex in US: The board members of the HOA represent 4 different nationalities. Showed leadership and got the finances / reserves and other affairs of the board in order after becoming President

- 1997 - 1998 Organizing Committee Member - Annual IT Technical Symposium
- 1998 High School Debate Team Captain

6. Recommendation Letter: Will get from Company VP and another regional director. They have known me for 5 and 9 years respectively. Will be giving me very glowing recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
AM

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hardikm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:17 pm
Hi TheDreamer,

Your profile sounds interesting. But I am worried for you about your GMAT score. Ideally if you have time, retake exam as I talked to one of the INSEAD marketing team lady. She told me that they are not really adamant about GMAT score but they would like to see atleast 70 percentile in both MAth and Verbal. I guess your score is just enough to beat the barrier. But Quant score concerns me.

If you took Statistics or any other courses from CMU and have scored As then it might act in your favor.

Fellow CMU Alumni :)
H

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thedreamer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:39 pm
Hey Hardikm,

I took Business Management (Management Game), Managerial Economics from Tepper and got A's in both. My Quant is 65% and Verbal is 73%. I just screwed up that day.. Not a true representation of my Quant Ability.. I got 800/800 in quant in GRE. Also I was T.A. for Calculus and Different Equations for Freshman at CMU. The issue with retaking is that there is not enough time between now and R2 Jan 2012 deadline and I don't want to split attention between App and GMAT.. also don't want to risk with R3.

I have pretty good essay's (atleast that is what I think :)) and basically banking on my experience / leadership, international exposure, CMU degree and kick ass references to make it thru. I know its Risky.. but its Sink or Swim time.

The other school I will apply to is ISB... and that's it.

Good luck with your apps!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hardikm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:39 am
Just an advice. If you have some time, reappear for GMAT and try to push your score upwards atleast in quant. Again, its my personal belief that B-School can compromise on verbal but not quant as many courses are quant intensive as you know.

If you do not have time, probably use references and your application strategically to prove that you are strong in math. Mebbe you can mention you were TA for Stats etc.

Which course did u take @ CMU? I was in MISM.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:46 am
Dear thedreamer,

I think you have the pieces for a solid application package to INSEAD, but how competitive your overall package is will be based on the strength of the essays, recommendations, resume and (hopefully) interview. Your transcripts will be an advantage and demonstrate your ability to excel in the classroom--which will help to mitigate the GMAT some--but some committee members at INSEAD might still have reservations based on your GMAT. Be sure to highlight your quantitative proficiency throughout your application to further mitigate any concerns. Finally, you will want to use any unique aspects of your background to distinguish your application from similar applicants. Perhaps your global experience and presidency of the HOA? While retaking the GMAT to increase your total score, by increasing your quant score, would be helpful, you should not sacrifice other parts of your application for a retake.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me