Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

Where do I stand? 2012 aspirant

by ankurmit » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am
Hi,

I would really appreciate if I can get feedback of my profile and chances for admission for Accelerated MBA programs:

Johnson Cornell-Accelerated MBA
INSEAD-Singapore
Emory-Accelerated MBA
ISB-India
Kellogg-accelerated MBA (Dream school)

I have a GMAT score of 710 ( Q49,V38)

Academics:
Graduate Electronics & Telecom engineer -59% marks (don,t know how to convert to GPA)
I could not perform well in engineering :(
Please advice how can I deal with it? I am an Indian and there are no such calculus, statistics and micro economics courses.

Work Exp:

7 yrs of work exp(as on June 2012) in telecom project management and telecom operations.Good professional achievements and good growth.
Presently working as Associate Manager-Service Delivery with top Indian telecom company.

1.6 yrs of part time entrepreneurial exp ( as on June 2012)at online marketing/PR company Bluebit Systems.Company Employee strength-8.
Handling marketing operations, which includes the marketing communications, campaign management, corporate and customer communications, corporate relations, market research and analysis.

Extra curricular:

Led several CSR campaigns.
Awarded certificate of honor for social initiatives by Co-Chairman.

Short term Goals:
To advance to senior management level position dealing with business development/International marketing for a high tech product/e-commerce company.

Long term goals: To run my own PR/Marketing/Branding company.

Recommendation Letter: Can get from Company VP and some of my clients.They will be giving me very glowing recommendations.
--------
Ankur mittal

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:38 am
Dear Ankur,

First, I highly encourage you to make sure you meet the requirements for the accelerated MBA programs (particularly in the US) as many specify you have completed undergraduate coursework to be eligible. If you do meet the prerequisites and are eligible to apply, then I think you do have the foundation for a competitive application to the schools on your list. However, I also think you have some challenges you will need to effectively address in your applications to achieve positive results. The main challenges are your highly represented profile in the applicant pool and your desire to make a career change from the accelerated program. With regard to the first challenge, it is imperative you find a way to distinguish your application from the many similar applicants and make a compelling case to offer you a seat in the class. Perhaps your part-time work or other activities will be advantageous there? With regard to the second challenge, you will need to have a plan for how you will achieve your goals from the accelerated program. In a traditional program, you would have an opportunity to do an internship and start to redirect your career. In an accelerated program, you forgo the internship. Thus you will want to be ready to discuss in your interview, and perhaps articulate in an essay, your action plan to achieve your career goals.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:11 am
Lisa,thanks for your valueable inputs.I will definitely consult adcoms before applying to these courses and will make sure I meet the requirements for these programs.I understand it will be a challenging task for me to prove 'how 1 yr MBA will help me achieve my goals' but I will try my best.

Can you please advice me how to deal with low GPA.I got good score on GMAT but i don't think it will be sufficient. I know, i will have to face stiff competition that's why i want to make my applications as strong as possible.
Last edited by ankurmit on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------
Ankur mittal

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:38 pm
You need to disclose all education at the undergraduate and graduate level, so you will include your post-grad diploma. You might also be required to submit a transcript for it; thus be sure to make arrangements for obtaining/sending an official transcript. The best way to mitigate a low GPA is with a high GMAT score and evidence in your background that you are more focused/committed to your studies now. If you did well in your post-grad, that will help mitigate your low GPA, as will an effective optional essay.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me