Some patients

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Some patients

by champmag » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:21 am
Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.
(A) having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been
(B) having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
(C) as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
(D) when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
(E) for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:27 am
IMO D
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 am
Source please! :)
Regards,

Pranay

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by peelamedu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:32 am
I think it's D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by subhashghosh » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 am
I think it's A, because of ||ism and present perfect tense.

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:28 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:Source please! :)
Hi,
This question has been posted yesterday with a different subject. An expert has replied too. You can follow this link :

https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmatprep-seq ... 84684.html

Btw, source : GMATPrep
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:39 am
Hey Frankenstein,

Thanks for the link.

Its really nice to see the question and its source have added more weightage to it.

Thanks again.
Regards,

Pranay

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Location: Classroom courses in Delhi | Bangalore | Video courses across the planet
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:55 pm
Final solution at one place:

Important: The purpose of this post (and all the other posts by me) is to give a complete solution to all GMAT-Prep Verbal questions at one place. Sometimes students have to wade through dozens of posts to get to the final answer. My posts will give one complete and crisp solution required to arrive at the correct answer by eliminating the wrong ones. Some of the content in these posts may have been taken from various other sources (discussion forums).

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.
(A) having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been
(B) having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
(C) as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
(D) when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
(E) for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

The best way to attack this problem is to remove 'for example' from each of the choices.

A. having been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B. having a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C. as having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D. when they have been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E. when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

A is parallel 'having been || having been' ... the connector word is 'or' ... as we are joining two similar ideas (and only two ideas), we should not use a comma. This alone is sufficient to eliminate B, C, D, and E.

In B, 'having a drug prescription (refers to patients) can't be parallel to being taken off (refers to a doctor, possibly) ... as the subjects are different, the two are not parallel.

In C, 'having too low of a dosage (refers to patients) can't be parallel to being taken off (refers to a doctor, possibly) ... as the subjects are different, the two words are not parallel.

D is not parallel ('have been' is not parallel to 'were')

E is not parallel ('have a prescription' is not parallel to 'been taken off')

Correct: A
Sandeep Gupta | Asia's only GMAT trainer with multiple 770/800 and a perfect 800/800 score |
Check out my results on www.top-one-percent.com