Is August a good time for GMAT?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Is August a good time for GMAT?

by singalong » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:46 am
I actually have the GMAT scheduled for June 30.But I am still stuck in the 400s as far as GMAT prep scores are concerned.I am working really hard on the preparation but doesn't seem like I will hit the target score of >740, within 25 days.I am thinking of postponing the test date .Not sure if Jule suffices for my prep since I would be able to say that only in mind July based on my performance.
So if I schedule it for August, would it hurt my chances of getting a good school like Chicago Booth, ROSS, Duke or even ISB considering essays etc.?

This thread might be a little redundant but please bear with me.Much appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:51 am
Its not late I guess. There is still time for you to apply (you are applying for 2012 fall intake right?) :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:16 am
It will be good if you reschedule it considering your target score :)
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by singalong » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:57 pm
Yes.I think I am gonna reschedule it but just want to know at what cost I would bedoing it)apart from the actual cost).

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 am
Hey singalong,

If I'm reading your question correctly, you're asking about whether August is a good time to take the GMAT in general, independent of your own study plans/schedule. Is that right?

The GMAT is the same test 365 days a year, so you don't need to worry whether the August GMAT is harder/easier than the June GMAT or anything like that. The percentiles that you're assigned aren't tied to a particular day or week, either...you don't have to worry at all that you happened to take the test on the same day as a bunch of global geniuses who all scored 760+ so somehow your 700 is only "average" on that day. Whatever you score today, in August, or next May is going to count the same.

What's most important is selecting a test date/time that will allow you to go in well-prepared and confident. From what you wrote, it sounds like August is a pretty good choice as you probably have some work to do. I'd recommend planning on August, and then going through this same thought process a couple weeks before that target date. If you feel like you need more time, you can always consider pushing back even further. There's no real discernible difference between applying in the first round (October/November) or the second round (January), so if you feel like you're rushing to apply early and that your candidate profile will be less competitive by doing so, you should strongly consider waiting so that you're a better candidate in January.

So....to answer your most recent question "at what cost would I be delaying until August?". Exactly $25 and nothing else. Happy studying these next couple months!
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

by ariz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:51 am
It sounds like you are asking whether or not there is any difference to the adcom when you take the GMAT, is that correct?

It probably is best for you to take it as soon as possible just so you can start working on your app w/out having to worry about your GMAT score. But don't rush it if your score is nowhere near the program's avg... its better to wait and apply when you are ready than rush it and turn in a subpar app. With that said you can also consider applying during the 2nd round instead of 1st. From what I heard both rounds have very similar criteria for ppl that got admitted, but do avoid the 3rd or later rounds. The class roster is pretty much set by then and will take quite a bit of effort on your part to make you standout at this point

by singalong » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:09 am
Brian and Ariz... thanks a lot for your prompt replies.

Ariz got closer to my question actually.I am definitely not taking the GMAT if I am not seeing a 700+ score in my preps.But I also wanted to get an idea of what I would be losing out on, if I take the GMAT in say end of July or mid August.
Two main concerns.

1. Some Bschools have the last day of app set in August I think. ISB, India is one of them if I am not wrong.Though ISB is on my radar, there's no point rushing my prep and getting a bad score.If I lose, some of the bschools..well..then I really cant help it, can I?

2. Say, I take my test in mid August.At the off-chance that I still dont get a satisfactory score, I would reqiure 1 more month o prepare and write GMAT again.So keeping in mind about this 1 month of backup, would August be still good?

3. I am under the impression that if I lose out on R1 cycle, then the no. of seats available at any target bschool will be lesser and hence way more competition in R2.Is that true? Time required for the Profile building aside, Is R2 still as good as R1.To be specific, What would I miss in R1, if I apply in R2?

4. Could you gimme an approximate figure(%) of the schools who have their app process ending in say September-October?

What do you think?Brian, Ariz..?Other experts are requested to chip in too. the first 3 questions hold most importance to me.Aplogies If I am overwhelming any one of ya with all these questions.

Thanks a ton:)

by singalong » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 pm
no replies?did I just push it with too many questions?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by alicia_wang » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:47 pm
I would definitely postpone. As long as you set milestone goals and manage your time appropriately, you should be able to get the essays in.