ONE ARGUMENT, MANY ASSUMPTION, HELP, HELP , EXPERT

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
in one argument we can have many assumptions. Is that right? and because we have many assumptions, we can have many strengthener and weakeners. Is that right?

PLEASE, GIVE ME ONE ARGUMENT AND ITS 2 ASSUMPTIONS. I do not understand this.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:22 pm
i think one argument can have only 1 assumption.
the assumption will connect premise to the conclusion.
The assumption will be necessary to validate the conclusion.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:55 pm
duongthang wrote:in one argument we can have many assumptions. Is that right? and because we have many assumptions, we can have many strengthener and weakeners. Is that right?

PLEASE, GIVE ME ONE ARGUMENT AND ITS 2 ASSUMPTIONS. I do not understand this.
Hi,
Yes. An argument can have any number of assumptions.
An advertiser: "Our new advertisement in the newspaper will increase the sales of our product"
The assumptions are "People see advertisements in the newspaper", "People buy products based on advertisements", so on. All such hidden statements are assumptions.

Strengthen questions ask you to support the argument in any way possible. This type of answer has great range, as the additional support provided by the answer choice could be relatively minor or major. Speaking in numerical terms, any answer choice that strengthens the argument, whether by 1% or by 100%, is correct. That is the reason, question clearly states "which of the following if true, most/least strengthens the argument"
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:740

by dubinsky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:05 am
Definitely an argument can have well as many assumptions as you deem fit.
while considering a weaken question, Your question thus always states choose the option that would most weaken the argument...

here even though the author may have assumed a couple of things ,which we all do when we make conclusions.... simply not possible to state every possible case.... we must check the option which the entire argument depends on that is if you negate that particular assumption the conclusin should sound RIDICULOUSLY STUPID!