Beat down by the GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Beat down by the GMAT

by magicalhat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:17 am
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my story. After passing a Kaplan GMAT class with flying colors, I sat down to take the exam yesterday, and it went, well, a lot worse than I expected. I ended up with a 550 (35 in quant and a 31 in Verbal), which was more 80 points below my lowest score on any practice test. I don't know what happened. I think it was partly nerves, and it just seemed that I would struggle on a question and it would just snowball and I'd start missing more and more. I took the advice of everyone here and used the OG and supplements and I even bought some MGMAT books after my Kaplan class was finished, so I don't know what went wrong. A week before the test, I scored a 660 on a MGMAT practice test, so I don't think I'm in that bad shape. Do you guys think I can improve my score? Or should I just leave the GMAT alone?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:27 am
Come on DONT GIVE UP. You are not the one first one to get a low score. Analyze your score, and take a practice test now and analyze the results. Check out where you are behind and work on it. Join the study plan for retake from the site. That would support greatly. :) Don't give up at any cost. We have seen a lot of people who scored less and come out with flying colors. :) If you need inspiration, read this post, https://www.beatthegmat.com/510-to-660-t ... 84319.html :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 am
I agree with sivaelectric..
Don't give up.... Find why you lacked in this test and work on improving those parts.
Maybe you got nervous in exam. (Then you should try out practice tests which are simulated in similar environment)
Maybe you got less time and had to guess last few questions, then improve your speed and also methods.
Good luck for the preparation :)
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by sivaelectric » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:41 am
Also if nervousness is the real trouble, then check this out.
https://news.uchicago.edu/article/2011/0 ... erformance
It explains clearly how to reduce your test day anxiety. :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Legendary Member

by cans » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:50 am
nice link :)
You can also try eating chocolate ;)
(don't have a link to prove that its scientific and good and blah blah but it really works :) )

[email protected]

Cans!!

by sivaelectric » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:56 am
@CANS may be this is the reason why Chocolates are good and also why you are staying on top of BTG. ;)
Chocolates are not only delicious but also beneficial to brain and enhances mood. Natural stimulants boost the production of endorphins that improve focus and concentration. Milk Chocolates improve verbal and visual memory and boost impulse control and reaction time. Dark Chocolates rich in flavanols, boost blood supply to the brain and help improve cognitive skills. Nuts are full with anti-oxidants and omega-3 and 6 fatty acids that boost brain power and mood.

Legendary Member

by cans » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:04 am
sivaelectric wrote:@CANS may be this is the reason why Chocolates are good and also why you are staying on top of BTG. ;)
Chocolates are not only delicious but also beneficial to brain and enhances mood. Natural stimulants boost the production of endorphins that improve focus and concentration. Milk Chocolates improve verbal and visual memory and boost impulse control and reaction time. Dark Chocolates rich in flavanols, boost blood supply to the brain and help improve cognitive skills. Nuts are full with anti-oxidants and omega-3 and 6 fatty acids that boost brain power and mood.
Okay so i can prove how chocolates are useful :D
I have maximum no. of badges... yippee. :D
I think we are spamming this post now.. :(

[email protected]

Cans!!