Took the GMAT today and got killed.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Took the GMAT today and got killed.

by cyrwr1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:41 pm
Hey all,

I took the GMAT today and was shocked to see that I did so horribly. From CATs, the lowest I had ever scored was 690. I was seeking a range of 740+ for my score prior to the test as My Quant was more often a 51 than a 50 and my verbal was in the low 40s.

I had scored 730, 740, 690,690, 780, 750 on the Manhattan CATs, 710 and 720 on the GMATPrep.

Nonetheless, something definitely hindered my performance today. Quants was really easy initially but my 14-20 Q's were data sufficiency of either high difficulty or nonsensical.

The drag of these 5-6 questions(20minutes spent on these, I finished the first 13/14 in 25mins) left me with about 30 to do the final 17.

I finished but rushed toward the end. If anyone can solve or infer what approach I ought to take for these problem, I'd greatly appreciate it.

For the Verbal part, I started really confident but once again, I feel RC has failed me. I was spending too much time on it and thought I arrived to the solution and most probably not. The same for SC and CR, these two areas I was hitting 80%+ for them so careless mistakes and lack on concentration ignited the decline.

I had RCs on a Saturn moon, legalization in unions, dialects in South East Asia, and a hunter and gatherers passage.
Any questions you may have, feel free to ask.

I am aware that I am writing in the wrong section of this forum. I intend to keep it here as a remainder that I will beat the GMAT next month and will repost in this forum rightfully so.

Even Ray Allen has his donut shooting days, so this will not stop me from attaining that 99%ile score.

Thank you all for reading and any suggestions that you may have for me in the upcoming 20+ days, please advise so.

Thank you and have a great day!

Cyrus

P.S. If you find any grammatical mistakes, please state. One should always seek to be more wise. :D
Last edited by cyrwr1 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by brood1989 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm
Sorry to hear that you had a bad day. Those scores you've posted are
very impressive in your cats, clearly you're capable of getting a very
good score. I feel like a few questions can drag someone down but on
the GMAT we need to be able to just let it go and focus on the next
question (easier said than done however). Keep your head up and work
hard and I'm sure you'll get the score you deserve. Good luck.

by cyrwr1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:15 pm
Thanks. I certainly aim to post here once again next month on how I beat the GMAT. Have you taken the GMAT yet? If you have any questions, feel free to fire away!

by brood1989 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:37 pm
I haven't yet, but I'm making pretty good progress so far. I've
been focused on Quant (my initial Q score was 31 before studying)
however after week one it was up to 38, and at the end of week 2
its up to 43. Just wondering what prep tests you thought were the
closest to the actual exam (excluding the GMAT prep software)?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:36 am
@Cyrus,

I guess your r violating/breaking the "confidentiality" clause u agreed to GMAC.

i.e. One more I can remember is if x=10^100, and x^x=10^y. What is the value of y?

Small clue (x^Y)^z = (x) ^( y*z).

Plz edit those questions u posted!! Becox I have heard few cases where GMAC "cancels " the scores of the users who have participated in violating the laid out rules.

by cyrwr1 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am
@Brood gimme your email. i'll send u some stuff and I hate GMAC, read my latest story :(

Manhattan GMAT is the best for math though.

by Victory_GMAT » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 pm
Don't make haste when register for exam. People become application deadline oriented and keep doing same type of questions again and again and start feeling happy about their score in home. It is designed in a such a way that GMAT makers are aware of all the tricks applied by majority of students so they twist the math and grammar questions. They have tons of data analyzing each and every applicant's performance on each type of trap they put in the test. They understand average common sense of majority of test takers and accordingly they constantly update the pattern of traps. I wish I had an example which I can post so it can be more clear that how a same type of question appeared in any given exam was changed and proved to be a unique trap. Keep doing a single question in atleast 3 different ways then concept under it will become second nature and then you will be able to break any trap.

by cyrwr1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:29 pm
hey,

read what happened to me last wk here : https://www.beatthegmat.com/i-m-almost-c ... 83728.html

Such a heartbreaker, but I won't stop yet!

Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:31 am
@GMATMACMOHAN where can I read those rules and agreement? Just to keep myself informed :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri