OG verbal SC question 43

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:560

OG verbal SC question 43

by Tega1984 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:33 am
Though the term ''graphic design'' may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets,computer graphics, and film titles.

A suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
B suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,it has come to signify a wide range of
C suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging
D have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
E have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging

O.K. I know which answer is correct and which are wrong, the only thing that concerns me is why HAVE is wrong in answer choice D? I realize that there's other issue with this choice and I know why it does not fit...however OG says that HAVE does not agree with TERM. But we have MAY before have, so I don't get why is it wrong? I realize that term is singular, but we can use HAVE with singular when their is MAY right? For example - He may have done this and that...

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 am
IMO B
i think in D, with 'have' might should be used instead of may
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:58 am
Hi,
I don't know what is said in OG but it should say something regarding the use of present perfect tense. It must have probably said that the usage of 'have suggested' is incorrect because present perfect is wrongly used. Can you paste the complete OE so that we can have a better discussion.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

by Tega1984 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:04 pm
Have suggested does not agree with term. That's what the OG says.

by Tega1984 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:07 pm
I think that the thing is that it still suggests and ahve means that it does not suggest anymore

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:49 pm
Hey guys,

Good discussion - if I can offer my explanation for D:

This one comes down to meaning. I don't think there's anything individually wrong with the first part of the sentence and "have". It's not any different than saying:

"I may have suggested that D is right..."

But what makes D wrong, or at least one major flaw with D, is that it transitions between two completely different ideas in the same tense without any way to designate that one has passed and the other is the current state. It treats the two as the same thing when they're totally different. In order to keep them in the same state you'd need some kind of transition like "actually" or "but, in fact" or even "also".

If you'll notice in B, the change in tense/form from "may suggest" to "has come to signify" shows that transition. The essence of the sentence is that the term "Graphic Design" on the surface has a fairly bland meaning but it's actually a thriving fields with all kinds of different responsibilities and functions. We need a sentence structure that reflects that meaning and D misses the boat by matter-of-factly stating those two different meanings in the same form without any differentiation.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.