This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Issues with verbal. My strategy ok?

by dextar » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:10 am
HI ppl

Pls help me out!!

I have read the strategies by beatthegmat

It has been a month since I started my prep. However, I can't feel the momentum going my way. I started my GMAt Preparation with Kaplan Premier, completed it in 10 days(QA in 2 days). THen I completed SC from OG 11 using the sheet format mentioned in the forum. After this, I took GMAt Prep1 and scored 600 (Qa 48 va 24). COuldn't even finish verbal in time.

I then started with RC and Cr from OG 11 slowly but steadily. However, I was startled to see my speed in RC.(very slow). I was taking too much time. I did most of the questions in CR in timed mode. However, I was not able to do RC in the proper time limit.

After finishing off verbal from OG-11, I took one GMAT CAT 1 from Kaplan CD this Saturday. I was expecting better this time. However the score was demoralising 570 (QA 50 Va 24).

THe common things that I noted during both the tests are that suddenly out of nowwhere , I start crumbling under sheer pressure of SC and RC. Sometimes I fail to distinguish what is the error being tested in SC. This doesn't happen with me while solving OG-11 questions. In Rc, I don't remember the paragraph, so that I have to go and check each and every option from the passage and that takes a lot of time.

QA is ok for me. In both the tests, I have been able to comlpete QA 15-minutes in advance.
My question:
What should I do apart from analysing my mistakes?
Should I again revisit the OG-11 or take on 1000 series?

Thanks in anticipation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:52 pm
Take your Kaplan practice scores with a grain of salt--these tests have a reputation of skewing down your score below what you should actually expect on the GMAT. GMATPrep is a better indicator; you may wish to take that second test if you want a better sense of where you stand.

Otherwise, a better approach is to compare scores within the same test company brand. If you're improving you're on the right track.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school