Good GMAT Score and Average GPA, required guidance

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello ,

I am kunal Sharma and i need guidance regarding my profile and which B School i should prefer.

I have completed my B Tech in mechanical engineering from IIT,India which is world renewed and comes in top 10 best engineering collages of india. but My GPA is not very good it is 7.00 out of scale of 10.00 and our class topper had 8.1 out of 10 and my position is 25 out of 55 people. Also as required buy some collages in my last 60 hrs final year study i have 8.52 out of 10 and i topped the class.

I have a work experience of 3 years in core power generation field with reliance energy limited , which is reputed company in india and abroad and i deal with manufacturing and quality departments, which is basically supply chain management thing. i am working directly under Assistant Vice president of my company and looking for High value projects and dealing with our international customer for supplies. i can provide his recommendation as well. i also have 2 year part time work experience.

I have done good projects in my company as well as in other reputed companies in my under graduation and i can arrange good recommendation and professional testimonies. I also have good technical projects and very decent record of extra curricular activities as i served as convenor of technical fest and on the same time i had conducted seminars and work shops on fine art, since it is my hobby and i have huge interest in it, which i believe can add versatility in my profile.

My GMAT score is 720 with equally good performance in QA and VA.

Now my query is with this profile can I expect admission in any good B School in US, UK & Canada with bright future aspirations and some financial assistant? If yes, than for which b schools should i go.(requested not to mention top 5 or 10 , particularly need a range of collages)

a few collages in which i am planning to apply

1. Mays T&M
2. Marriott
3.Howard
4.HEC Montreal
5. Wisconsin Madison
6. Buffalo
7. Cranfield

This is my order of preference, any suggestion or addition in this is heartily welcome! I have heard that there are a few collages which do not prefer student from non US-EU countries or international students particularly Asians( it is just a query, no offence to any body)

i also have time to take GMAT again, so shall i go for it.

I also want to know what measure i can take to improve my chances of admission in my b school since at this stage my GPA can not be improved.

Please provide your extremely valuable suggestions

regards
Kunal Sharma

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 am
Dear Kunal,

You have the foundation for a competitive application to your school list. At this point, I think the best action you can take is to spend considerable time on the remaining application components like your essays, resume and interview preparation. You want to have a strong package which mitigates any potential concerns. Thus choose your recommenders wisely and assess your background thoroughly when picking out topics for essay responses. You also want to check your essays and resume for small errors like grammar, punctuation and other errors--show you have a good command of written English. In the event you are invited to interview or can request an interview, then be sure to prepare thoroughly so the interviewer leaves the interview believing you will add value to the program. Retaking the GMAT to achieve a higher score will not significantly strengthen your application, but scoring closer to a 740 (or higher) might be helpful when distinguishing your application from the pool when combined with your industry experience and interest in fine art.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sharmakunal » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:36 am
thank you for your reply. i have started working on my essays and resume. I am planning to apply in September, much before novemeber deadline so that my application could be considered for scholarships.

i am interested particularly in supply chain management and operations , as it suits with my professional back ground as well. Could you please help me or suggest some good b school , which prefer supply chain management people. I tried to search on net but no relevant data i found. if u can please suggest any good site to find preference of B schools regarding applicant pool and any area specific preference.

I am interested in applying in those B Schools where my chances of getting admission are brighter , since as u suggested, i have a competitive profile. Also as i asked earlier please suggest how to mitigate my average GPA concern.

Shall i go for some top collages like oxford, Urbana champaign, Georgia tech pls reply

Thx in advance

kunal

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:47 pm
You want to target schools that make sense for your career goals. So, in your case, you want to apply to programs with supply chain concentrations and connections to companies in your desired industry(ies).

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me