Such Vs Like (OG's take on "Like")

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

Such Vs Like (OG's take on "Like")

by smackmartine » Mon May 30, 2011 2:34 pm
I am going through a SC question in Verbal review 2nd edition.

Q 65
Answer explanation:
"While there has heen some dispute over the use of like to mean "for example," this is an acceptable use."

So , I guess next time we see "Like" vs "Such" question we need to find differences other than these to get to the correct answer.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by SoCan » Mon May 30, 2011 3:09 pm
Hmmm, that's annoying.

I'm guessing, though, that because it's such a controversial issue, the test won't make it the sole determining factor. In this question, the subject-verb agreement makes it easy, as that's clearly a higher priority.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Tue May 31, 2011 8:58 am
Great post, SoCan!!

The test is really well-written, so you're absolutely right that if there's some real gray area over whether an idiom is absolute or not it won't be the determining factor. In fact, many official questions use idioms as pure smokescreens to take your eye off of the real problem - something a bit more universal like subject-verb agreement or logical modifiers.

When you're going through SC questions, try to always see the big-picture in addition to (or maybe just instead of) the smaller-level idiomatic items. The GMAT is testing your problem-solving ability, not your memorization skills (and if it were to test memorization, wouldn't it seem prudent to give you a monster list of what you needed to memorize rather than leave us all to these forums to try to figure all that out?).
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.