Too busy fighting quant; blind sided by verbal (650)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Everyone,
First of all, thanks to everyone on the forum; it has been a source of great motivation and reassurance - it really keeps me going.

I took the GMAT last week and scored 650 (Q42 V38). My target score is >700.

I took a practice test several months back and scored around 48 on the verbal so i just shelved it and concentrated purely on my quant, which was (and always has been!) abysmal.

Last week on the real thing I felt like i was a bit lucky with the quant questions that came up and I made a mess of the verbal (mainly a timing thing). I randomly guessed the last 5 or 6 questions (I know, idiot!).

I will retake in a couple of months and i was hoping for advice on how best to use my time to get over 720. Should I focus on brushing the verbal back up to where it can be, or work equally on both?

If i can get 720, with a quant score in the low 40's, will that hurt my chances with a good school?

Really appreciate any thoughts.

All the best,

Fred

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Tue May 31, 2011 7:47 am
Hi Fred,
I think you should concentrate on both equally. You scored 48 in verbal once, and thus low practice got you 38.
And quant can still be improved from 42. :)
Good luck :)