Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

absolute values

by resilient » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:10 pm
Is x times absolute value Y > y^2

1. x>y

2.y>0

qa is C

With abosulute value questions you must account for both negative situation and positive situation. So I did! But it came out wrong. Can someone please show me how i went wrong. I then picked values to test each situation.

-y^2 >x times absolute value Y > y^2
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: absolute values

by gabriel » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:38 am
Enginpasa1 wrote:Is x times absolute value Y > y^2

1. x>y

2.y>0

qa is C

With abosulute value questions you must account for both negative situation and positive situation. So I did! But it came out wrIng. Can someone please show me how i went wrong. I then picked values to test each situation.

In any DS question it is very necessary that you understand the question stem properly and also that you infer the right meaning from it.

Take a close look at the above stem. It asks if x*mod(y)>y^2. Over here the point to be noted is that mod(y) and y^2 will always remain positive, so the only thing that matters is whether x is positive or negative and whether x is > y.

The statement will be true only if x>0 and mod(x)>mod(y) (Think about why it should be this way, why isn't it enough that x>y).

The first statement says x > y,

Let us consider two cases

Case 1 x=5 and y=-6 .. 5*mod(-6) = 30 and (-6)^2 =36 .. 30<36
Case2 x=7 and y = -6.. 7*6=42 and 6^2 =36.. 42>36 .. So we dont get a definite answer .. hence insufficient.

Statement 2 says y>0 .. this again is obviously insufficient as it says nothing about x..

Combine the 2 and we get x > y and y > 0 .. so this satisfies the condition that x>0 and mod(x) > mod(y) and hence combined they both are sufficient.

Regards

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: absolute values

by xeqtr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:16 pm
Hi!

since you have x|y|>y^2,

1. x>y; x=-1 y=-2 left hand you end up with - whereas right hand you'll always end up with +. so not sufficient unless you know x is positive as well

2. no info about x.

combined: x>y>0, now you know x is positive and greater than y, so you have:(some number x > y)|y| > y^2. Sufficient.
Enginpasa1 wrote:Is x times absolute value Y > y^2

1. x>y

2.y>0

qa is C

With abosulute value questions you must account for both negative situation and positive situation. So I did! But it came out wrong. Can someone please show me how i went wrong. I then picked values to test each situation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by resilient » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:48 pm
my weakness is not the math. As the moderator explained, I failed to understand the gist of the question. I often do this and need to fix it, especially since I know the math.
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!