Supernova

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

Supernova

by sivaelectric » Mon May 30, 2011 5:49 am
Type 1a Supernovae, caused by the detonation of matter accreted onto white dwarf stars, explode with a highly predictable brightness. Since the brightness of these explosions fades over distance in a higly predictable way, scientists have long used images measuring the brightness of type 1a supernovae to determine the distance to distant galaxies.

Which of the following discoveries, if true would most jeopardize scientist' reliance on images of type 1a supernovae as tools for measuring distances to distances to distant galaxies?
  • A. Models explaining the causes of type 1a supernovae are altered to include an updated understanding of the role played by carbon fusion.
    B. Type 2 supernovae are discovered to be even more dramatically variable in their brightness than was previously thought.
    C. Large clouds of interstellar dust and ionized hydrogen can absorb the light emitted by the type 1a supernovae.
    D. Some supernovae exhibit very unusual spectral classifications and changes in brightness, and do not fit into the existing categories.
    E. A new telescope is able to measure the brightness of several thousand type 1a supernovae with an unprecedented level of precision.
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Mon May 30, 2011 6:13 am
IMO D

Followed by:2 members

by itsmebharat » Mon May 30, 2011 6:13 am
Confused between B and C, but most likely B
I am not an Expert, please feel free to suggest if there is an error.

Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Mon May 30, 2011 6:15 am
C is OA
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:57 am
sivaelectric wrote:Type 1a Supernovae, caused by the detonation of matter accreted onto white dwarf stars, explode with a highly predictable brightness. Since the brightness of these explosions fades over distance in a higly predictable way, scientists have long used images measuring the brightness of type 1a supernovae to determine the distance to distant galaxies.

Which of the following discoveries, if true would most jeopardize scientist' reliance on images of type 1a supernovae as tools for measuring distances to distances to distant galaxies?
  • A. Models explaining the causes of type 1a supernovae are altered to include an updated understanding of the role played by carbon fusion.
    B. Type 2 supernovae are discovered to be even more dramatically variable in their brightness than was previously thought.
    C. Large clouds of interstellar dust and ionized hydrogen can absorb the light emitted by the type 1a supernovae.
    D. Some supernovae exhibit very unusual spectral classifications and changes in brightness, and do not fit into the existing categories.
    E. A new telescope is able to measure the brightness of several thousand type 1a supernovae with an unprecedented level of precision.
it has to be C..!!
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 am
Yes it has to be C...why???

brightness of these explosions fades over distance in a higly predictable way,

If the light get absorbed no fading and hence no idea of distance

Followed by:7 members

comment

by Ozlemg » Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 am
IMO C

It is asked to weaken this: "brightness of type 1a supernovae determines the distances to distant galaxies"

In choice C, for the reason that the large clouds absorb the light emitted by type 1, brightness is not a reliable tool to measure the distance.

A:we do not care about causes of the type 1- out of scope
B:variablity of brightness does not solve our problem
C:Correct
D:It does not talk about which type 1,2,3...?
E:New telescope thing is irrelevant. Also it is a vague meaning : able to...