Need Expert advice

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Need Expert advice

by alltimeacheiver » Fri May 20, 2011 2:42 pm
Hi Gmat Guns

Pls suggest a way to tackel such RCS when someone doesn't like to read science terms. I am a commerce student who loves to read business passages most of the time. Pls help me.
Attachments
rc2-2.PNG

Followed by:7 members

by Ozlemg » Mon May 23, 2011 11:24 am
Hi There

Allo the same here. Even worse. Cos I am non native.

There is no way to escape from those passages. The best thing you could do is to familiarize yourself with different subjects. When reading a science or space related passages, I always try to remind yourself that "This could be the real test passage" and I pay extra attention and try to focus on what I am reading.

If I were you I would try to read science and history passages ( at least 1 passage a day)as much as possible on net. I try to select different and boring subjects and try to understand the consepts. It will be useful in the real test.

BTW, IMO answer is D. Is it possible to tell the OA?

Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Sat May 28, 2011 10:46 pm
There is no other go for you. Science related passages also come in the real GMAT exam. So you got to start practicing them too. One thing you can be sure is that GMAT wont test you the expertise in the science subject but rather how you understand and analyze the given data according to the given question. :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:660

by irock » Sat May 28, 2011 10:53 pm
You can't avoid it. So try to pay more attention than you pay when the RC is related to business pages. Try to practice a handful of the RCs related to science or topics you don't like, to develop a abit of taste and the optimum interest to read when it actually comes on your G day.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sat May 28, 2011 11:51 pm
Hi!

The majority of applicants to B-school don't have a science background - and GMAC knows that. So, why does it include so many natural science passages on the exam? To test whether you can handle new information.

If you're thrown off by the style of writing and general vocabulary (don't let the technical language throw you - you're not expected to have a background in any specific science topic and if you need to know what a technical word means, the passage will define it for you), then a great way to acclimate yourself to science passages is to do some general science reading. Your intent isn't to become a scientist, just to get used to the writing style. Accordingly, popular science magazines like National Geographic and Scientific American are great sources for "GMATesque" writing.

You can even roadmap those articles just as you would a GMAT passage - just don't do so on copies that you borrow from the library!

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course