Just beat the GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Just beat the GMAT

by kduncan » Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 pm
Hi,

beat the GMAT this morning with a 720. Q47 V41. Just thought I'd post that I found Kaplan book to be useful as the book has some very useful strategies and also gives some useful pointers. For me (among many others):
  • - Table method for sets;
    - Table method for rates;
    - Numerous other mathematical bits and pieces which I'd never have thought of: 0 is an integer; 0 is a multiple of any number; 0 is even (guess the definition of even is remainder of 0 when divided by 2). These bits and pieces are critical for data sufficiency;
    - Writing a grid down for verbal section to check off the wrong answers;
    - The technique of summarising paragraphs for Reading Comprehension;
    - Strategies and keywords for the essays
If I can suggest anything with respect to the sample CATs, you only have two shots at the GMAT Prep so I suggest using one to gain a good idea of possible areas of concern (probability, set theory, reading comprehension) as well as understand the format. Then study through with the other available resources such as the Kaplan CATs - I found these to be very very tough and did nothing for my confidence, so use your other GMAT Prep close (but not too close) to the actual day, so as to acclimatise yourself. Here are my results
  • GMAT prep1: 710 (two weeks before)
    Kaplan1: 630
    Kaplan2: 580
    Kaplan3: 610
    GMAT prep: 710 (two days before - made me feel more confident again)
    GMAT actual: 720
The night before, I had a beer and watched The Apprentice for inspiration (I didn't get any) and tried to sleep well (I'd only had 5 hours for the previous three nights on account of study and sick children).

All in, I'm happy with my result and now look to where it can get me. I know people who have attended very good schools with much lower results (even below 550), as they have demonstrated tenacity, commitment, hard work and an open-minded approach to learning, which ultimately is more important than a standardised test result.

Thanks to the community for the questions, tips, study plans, etc. and good luck to you all both for the GMAT and beyond.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm
Congrats!

And very good point about 0. :-)
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Sat May 28, 2011 8:49 am
Congrats and thanks for the debrief! :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri