tense issue

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

tense issue

by amar66 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:28 am
For years, employees had seen what they pay toward health care increases as companies ask them to contribute more for premiums and deductibles.

A. had seen what they pay toward health care increases as companies ask them to contribute more for premiums and deductibles
B. saw what they pay toward health care increased as companies ask them to contribute more to premiums and deductibles
C. have seen what they pay toward health care increase as companies ask them to contribute more to premiums and deductibles
D. have been seeing what they pay toward health care increases as companies asks it to contribute more to premiums and deductibles
E. have seen what they pay toward health care increasing as companies are asking them to contribute more to premiums and deductibles

OA: C Why??
Last edited by amar66 on Thu May 26, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu May 26, 2011 11:52 am
Hey Amar,

Good question. First off, I'd look at the modifier "for years" - that denotes a period of time (as opposed to one action), so it's pretty likely that you'll want a progressive (ongoing) tense.

Couple that with the use of present or indicative tense in the second half of all the sentences, and you can eliminate:

A) "had seen" along with "pay" is incorrect
B) "saw" along with "pay", plus that one-time verb tense "saw" doesn't work with "for years"

D seems like the next easiest to eliminate because of "companies asks" (subject-verb agreement problem).

Now between C and E it gets a little tighter. "Have seen" is a really logical verb tense for "for years", so we're good there. The difference, though, comes from "as companies ask" in C vs. "as companies are asking" in E.

Well, logically, we need to have a verb tense that extends a few years into the past because we're using "for years, employees have seen...". And "are asking" in E doesn't work with that - it's only present tense. C uses the indicative (and therefore more universal) "companies ask", so it fits perfectly with the timeline, and C is therefore correct.

Does that help?
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

GMAT Instructor

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu May 26, 2011 11:52 am
Hey Amar,

Good question. First off, I'd look at the modifier "for years" - that denotes a period of time (as opposed to one action), so it's pretty likely that you'll want a progressive (ongoing) tense.

Couple that with the use of present or indicative tense in the second half of all the sentences, and you can eliminate:

A) "had seen" along with "pay" is incorrect
B) "saw" along with "pay", plus that one-time verb tense "saw" doesn't work with "for years"

D seems like the next easiest to eliminate because of "companies asks" (subject-verb agreement problem).

Now between C and E it gets a little tighter. "Have seen" is a really logical verb tense for "for years", so we're good there. The difference, though, comes from "as companies ask" in C vs. "as companies are asking" in E.

Well, logically, we need to have a verb tense that extends a few years into the past because we're using "for years, employees have seen...". And "are asking" in E doesn't work with that - it's only present tense. C uses the indicative (and therefore more universal) "companies ask", so it fits perfectly with the timeline, and C is therefore correct.

Does that help?
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by amar66 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:09 pm
Thanks a lot Brain. It has really helped me.

Though C may be right but I am not comfortable with the usage of "increase" in this answer choice. Is it used as adjective here? whereas in other choices it is used as a verb?? I may be missing some concept. It would be great if you would through some light on its usage.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sanabk » Thu May 26, 2011 1:39 pm
I am baffled with usage of "increase" in option C. Please kindly shed some light!!!

GMAT Instructor

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu May 26, 2011 1:58 pm
Thanks, guys - and good question regarding "increase". "Increase" here is the verb for "what they pay".

One way to look at it is this - I'll put some variables in the sentence to replace long phrases:

For years, employees have seen X as companies ask them to Y.

That's really the part of the sentence that we were most concerned about. We needed that "have seen" tense to go with "for years", and then we needed "ask" as an indicative tense verb to stay logical.

Now what the GMAT loves to do is replace X and Y with longer phrases to keep you reading more and to "push you off balance" with a lot of other things to think about. Here:

X = what they pay toward health care increase

but that's just what "employees have seen". You could also say "I have seen my paycheck shrink" or "They have seen Las Vegas grow from a small desert oasis to a multibillion dollar entertainment capital". But in any case, that long phrase is just "what they've seen".

Does that explain it? One other note - I really like using variables as placeholders for long phrases if I'm trying to more easily focus on some major decision points in a sentence. You can always go back and reconsider those portions within the variables if it turns out that you need them, but breaking apart sentences can really help you to focus on what's important.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Thu May 26, 2011 2:15 pm
@Brian: one question .. he verb increase you think is justified here ?
C. have seen what they pay toward health care increase as companies ask them to contribute more to premiums and deductibles
part of it : what they pay toward health care increase

what justify plural verb here as increase ?

What can be seen here as being modified by "they pay toward health care" , so it should singular. Could you confirm please.

GMAT Instructor

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu May 26, 2011 3:24 pm
Yeah, it's definitely "increase". I guess technically it's not a subject-verb agreement problem because "what they pay" is not a subject...it's an object.

You would say:

I have seen him grow from a toddler to an adult.

"Him" is not a subject pronoun; it's an object pronoun, but that's correct because "him" is the object of "have seen". And although it's singular, you wouldn't say "grows"...just "grow" is correct.

You would also say:

I have watched Google's stock increase from $50 a share to $400 a share...

Even though stock is singular, because it's an object we'd just say "increase". Had we used "that" to set "stock" up as a subject, then we'd have to adhere to subject/verb rules:

I have seen that Google's stock increases nearly every day.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Fri May 27, 2011 4:54 am
@Brian: problem is deepen further I believe.
grow from a toddler to an adult is in the role of noun phrase ~~ to grow from a toddler to an adult

I <have seen> <him> <grow from a toddler to an adult>.
subject + transitive verb + object + infinitive phrase in the role of noun phrase .
That's why it will work. let me know if I am mistaken here.
I have watched Google's stock increase from $50 a share to $400 a share
This is not the same principle as in the question under disucssion.Why ?

Google is playing role of adjective whre as stock increase is a noun here.

The intent of the question is this ,i suppose,:

I have watched stock incrase in Google from $50 a share to $400 a share.

The same logic leads to the usage of singumlr verb over there .

Question with option C in its given form:

For years, employees have seen what they pay toward health care increase as companies ask them to contribute more to premiums and deductibles

what they pay toward health care is a noun caluse that plays role of singular and MUST be followed by a singular verb in my opinion. (Sorry for being Grammar greek but please allow me to why I think the way I think);this is furter followed by a verb "increase" here so it will be "increases".

rearragement of the sentence:

For years, employees have seen increase in what they pay toward health care as companies ask them to contribute more to premiums and deductibles.

Please share your thoughts. Upon looking into dictionary, I confirm that increase can play the role of a noun and a verb.
Last edited by GMATMadeEasy on Fri May 27, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Fri May 27, 2011 4:59 am
Looking again at the first sentence above in terms of structure:

grow from a toddler to an adult is in the role of noun phrase ~~ to grow from a toddler to an adult

subject + transitive verb + object + infinitive phrase in the role of noun phrase .

let me know if I am mistaken here.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:21 am
i received a pm.

i don't think that any of these choices is completely correct. the ones that come closest are (c) and (e), but both of those have tense issues:
* in (c), "ask" is inappropriate -- in this context, it should be "have asked", since it is happening in exactly the same timeframe as "have seen".
* in (e), "are asking" is inappropriate for largely the same reason.

WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF THIS PROBLEM?
i would be extremely suspicious of this problem, because it's written and edited by someone who doesn't understand even the basics of how the gmat works -- as proved by the fact that the last three words of every answer choice are the same.
the gmat ALWAYS starts EVERY underline at the first difference in the answer choices, and ALWAYS ends EVERY underline at the last difference -- there will NEVER be a real gmat problem in which all five choices start or end with the same word(s).
this consideration doesn't invalidate the problem by itself, but it shows that the author and editor(s) of the problem either (1) don't know what they're doing or (2) aren't being careful.

at the risk of repeating myself hundreds of times, i'll also ask the other question:
if you don't know the source of the problem, WHY are you using it?
GMATMadeEasy wrote:Looking again at the first sentence above in terms of structure:

let me know if I am mistaken here.
i will confess that i have absolutely no idea what a "noun phrase" is, so i can't really answer this question.

however, there's a better way:
if you see an extremely unusual structure, just do the following:
* MEMORIZE EXAMPLES of the structure
* WRITE YOUR OWN examples of it

basically, just learn these constructions the same way you learn idioms.
a formal grammatical analysis isn't really necessary -- and, if the construction is exceptional enough, can actually hurt your ability to understand how to use it.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by GMATMadeEasy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:32 am
agreed with your point. please allow me to re-ask the option C in terms of subject-verb agreement. (ignore tense issue just for the discussion).

@ C is presented as it is.

For years, employees have seen what they pay toward health care increase as companies ask them to contribute more to premiums and deductibles.

My reasoning says increase should be increases. Why ?
what they pay toward health care is a clause so should be treated as singular. You also mentioned in one post ,of same sort, that that is how these clauses should be treated. I might be wrong in interpreting this in the current context .

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:agreed with your point. please allow me to re-ask the option C in terms of subject-verb agreement. (ignore tense issue just for the discussion).

@ C is presented as it is.

For years, employees have seen what they pay toward health care increase as companies ask them to contribute more to premiums and deductibles.

My reasoning says increase should be increases. Why ?
what they pay toward health care is a clause so should be treated as singular. You also mentioned in one post ,of same sort, that that is how these clauses should be treated. I might be wrong in interpreting this in the current context .
that's not how it works.

i have no idea how to analyze this structure formally, but here's how it works -- the verb in the location of "increase" is completely invariant in number and tense. in fact, it functions in exactly the same way as an infinitive without the word "to" in front.

the following are ALL correct:
I am watching Jim play baseball. (not "plays")
I watched Jim play baseball. (not "plays", and not past tense)
I will watch Jim play baseball.
I have watched Jim play baseball.

etc.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 am
ALSO
let us not forget that this structure appears in an unsourced problem from a demonstrably unreliable source (see my comments above -- the authors of this problem are rather clueless as to the very basics of how to write a gmat problem.)

WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF THIS PROBLEM?
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE SOURCE, WHY ARE YOU USING IT AND TRUSTING IT?

i will not comment further on this problem until someone comes forward with the original source.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:14 am
sanabk wrote:I am baffled with usage of "increase" in option C. Please kindly shed some light!!!
Verbs of perception (see, hear, watch) can be put together with the bare infinitive, the infinitive form of a verb without the word to.

John heard the dog bark. (bark = bare infinitive, to bark without the to)
Susan is watching her son play baseball. (play = bare infinitive, to play without the to)

In the SC above:

Employees have seen what they pay increase. (increase = bare infinitive, to increase without the to)

Another verb that can be combined with the bare infinitive is make:

You made me love you. (love = bare infinitive, to love without the to)
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3